Chapter 20: Wishes

Mairus

Life is like the ocean, it can be calm and still or rough and ridged but in the end it’s always beautiful.

I’m more than grateful to leave Sage’s town. We exit and make our way back to the highway Sage says will take us right back to the ocean and will also allow us to avoid those monsters we ran into.

“Thank you Marius. I think I can go back to the ocean and live without regretting my time here.” Sage says as she intertwines her hand with mine.

I don’t even know how to express into words how happy I am to hear her say that. This trip was worth it in some ways I suppose. She probably would have resented her life as a mermaid. If she didn’t get any type of closure. I’m not sure if the closure she received was real or not but to her seeing her family and them moving “into the light’’ as she explained to me is the ultimate closure since she never got to say goodbye properly.

“Something strange happened to me at my house. When I was having my little episode and I hit the walls in my parents’ bedroom?” She asks and I nod.

“Well, I could hear the crushing of my bones and my nails were completely broken off. But now my nails have grown back and there isn’t even a bruise on my hands. In fact, it didn’t even hurt when I hit the walls. My hands just glowed and everything was fine. I don’t really get it. I know it’s probably some side effect of starting to change me.” She says. And I can only stare at her. An effect like that should not be happening. Her blood barely mixed with mine. That is defiantly not what should have happened.

“Yeah Sage, You’re starting to be able to heal yourself. It only gets better from here.” I smile at her and her face lights up.

“Okay so I was thinking! Wouldn’t it be cool if when we got back to the ocean you brought some dolphins to meet me? I’ve always wanted to swim with dolphins but never really got a chance. Wouldn’t that be great??” Sage exclaims and continues to babble on about dolphins and other sea life. Along with multiple questions about what merpeople like to eat and what we wear.

“So can you explain more about how merpeople talk. I mean I have a vague idea since you’ve mentioned it before. ” She says.

“It’s very easy Sage, you needn’t worry. Think of it as projection your words. You project what you wish in your mind to be said then simply let those words out. We will practice your “talking” before you meet all my people. I’ll make sure you only let people hear what you want them to hear” I laugh lightly at Sage’s many questions. Many humans who have turned into one of my merpeople have a hard time grasping the idea of not moving their mouths and talking, instead of just thinking “out loud”.

We come across a large building it lurks over the highway. Large metal beams that have held lights are all toppled over along the pavement leading up to the building mass amounts of cars are in line, rows upon rows scattered orderly. 

“We’re at the mall Marius!!! Oh my gosh. This is actually a great place to stop! We will be sheltered from the sun. And I can show you how fun “shopping” can be!” Sage cackles and drags me to a large glass wall that holds ten doors with gold colored handles.

“I have a feeling this isn’t going to be as fun as you make it seem.”

“Such a typical guy!” she yells as we enter the mall.

It’s such a dark place but it still has some life to it. It may be because Sage’s smile lights up the dank hallways. Zillions of shops line our path. We are on the second of three floors. Which according to Sage’s words spoken to herself we are where we want to be. She is looking for a certain shop. A “formal” shop. I’m not sure what formal means. I’m at a loss to all things involving clothing because in all my years I’ve never spent much time wearing clothing. Anytime I’d appear as a human and walk among them I’d just use my fins as shorts which appeared slightly strange to the humans but in my defense all of the humans wear god awful attire.