Chapter 7: Going Home

Sage

We are torn between the nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange.

            I stare at Marius, he is by far the most handsome man I have ever laid my eyes on. Even if he is part fish. He is a merman. Creatures that filled my mother’s twisted fairytales although, none were like him. They were ugly and vile. Scales covering their bodies with face of fish and teeth of sharks. But no sharp teeth in sight. He is a prince. A PRINCE. He healed my wounds, all of them my skin hasn’t looked so clear since I was eighteen. What if… What if he could save me? Make me like him. I could get off my land to the safety of the ocean. Obviously it’s plenty safe if they have magic! It’s the perfect plan, maybe Marius would even stay with me awhile. Okay I need to stop with my silly fantasies. I need to think. Can I really leave this land? It’s my home. It’s all I’ve ever known. It’s not right I get to leave and it stays here to die. And what about my home… the bodies of my family are probably gone now. Savaged by people who had to resort to cannibalized for a last means of survival. But that’s just a rumor, the last person I ever talked told me that. I remember her vividly. I met her outside of a small southern town. I wanted her to come with me but she refused. Her name was Scarlet, she had short bright red hair. Large brown doe eyes. She was beautiful she said her parents joined and “end-of-the-world cult”. I don’t know if I really believe her. But if it is true than it gives me more of a reason to leave.

“Can you make me like you?” I stutter asking Marius. He smiles and pulls my swimming body towards him so I am only a few inches from his face. A few pieces of his dark green hair stick to his forehead.

“Of course I can. But it would be hard” he says bluntly.

“How so?”

“Well for one you’d always feel bound to me. You’d feel an unnatural feel to be with me. Normally my people only change their mate.” He says.

“Mate? You keep saying that. A soul mate? Do you have one?” I ask trying to take the jealousy out of my voice. He just smiles and ducks his head away from me.

“I wouldn’t want to get in between you and your girlfriend.” I say pleasantly.

“Yes a soul mate. My gods choose what merpeople are meant for each other and help them to find one another. I don’t have a mate yet” he smiles like he is sharing a private joke to himself.

I know this is my only chance to be free of my land and my past. But I need some closure. I need to see my home again…

“I need to do something before you turn me then.” I say.

“Of course” He smiles.

“I need to see my home. I’ll find my way back here. But I can’t leave my land until I do this.” I hardly recognize my own voice. But suddenly it seems like the perfect plan. I hard plan to carry out granted but a wonderful thought if I could acually do it.

“But that’s not safe! You were so hurt. From your town to you head. I thought I was going to lose you before I even knew your name. I can’t let you get hurt. I won’t let you get hurt.” He says grabbing my wrist the gold markings glow brightly. I’m just about to open my mouth it protest when he puts a finger to my lips.

“Sage, you could get hurt or lost or even killed. That won’t happen I’m not going to let it. I have a solution.”

“What is it then?” I say moving my lips around his finger.

“I’ll come with you”

“Listen before you argue. I’m a lot stronger than you think I am. I know a lot about your land and what’s happening. I have my power that will help us. Just trust me.”