Chapter 7: Squidward's Lament

Squidward's house, a tall symbol of hate and terrible music.  At least to those who aren't the squid.  He waits eagerly for his sponge to return.  Let's see what happens next

Squidward sat in his living room; watching TV as he waited for his boyfriend to get off work.  The channel was on the news as it was reporting an upcoming music recital with the Bikini Bottom Orchestra.  He would like to take SpongeBob there one night.  He knew he would most likely act up, but he wanted to show SpongeBob some different, more interesting, sides of Bikini Bottom culture.  

He sighed as he looked at the clock.  9:00.  He never takes this long coming home from Sandy's.  Was he still training?  Did he go over to the starfish's rock?  No.  He would've heard some noise if that were the case.  He knew he was safe, but he always worried.   He had a feeling karate would get him in trouble.  One day he would get in a fight he couldn't win, or worse, come back from.  

He started to hear a commotion outside.  He clicked off the TV and went to the window.  Sure enough, the sponge and starfish were walking by his house.  He scowled and walked outside.  The friends' discussion was interrupted as he did so, and they stared at him  from the road.  They looked surprised and like they were caught.

"Oh.  Squidward."  SpongeBob said slowly.    

"SpongeBob, can we talk?"  The grumpy Squid asked.  

SpongeBob scratched his head.  "Oh, well... I was kinda in the middle of something... Can we talk later?"

Squidward scowled more.  He shook his head.  "I would appreciate it if you could come inside.  Now."  

The friends shared a concerned look.  Patrick whispered to SpongeBob, but he could make out, "Just keep it under wraps.  Don't worry him yet."  

The two nodded at each other before SpongeBob faced his boyfriend again.  "Okay, I understand."  He turned back to Patrick and said, "See ya."  Before he went inside.  

Squidward slammed the door shut behind him and watched SpongeBob walk awkwardly into the living room.  They faced each other in silence for a few minutes before SpongeBob spoke up. "You wanted to speak with me?"

Squidward just stood there, glaring at SpongeBob. 

"Come on baby, what's wrong?"  

Squidward said nothing. 

SpongeBob scratched his head.  "Is this because I came home late?"

Squidward simply muttered, "What do you think?"

SpongeBob sighed.

"Where were you?"

"I...  I was out."  He shifted his gaze away.

"Where?"

"..."

"Don't I deserve to know?!  I was worried sick!  You never take this long getting home.  Maybe an hour or two late, but this is almost two hours!  I was starting to fear the worst!"

SpongeBob looked back at Squidward.  He could see the tears forming in his boyfriend's eyes.  "I'm sorry I made you worry, but I can't tell you. Not yet..."

"And when do I get to know, huh?  When you come home bloody and bruised, or when I find out you died!?"

"Come on, you're overreacting!"

"AM I?!  Because it just could've easily been your last fight, assuming you fought!  Don't I deserve to know if you're putting yourself in danger?"

"You do... but... it isn't that simple.."

"Yes it is, you-"

"No it's not!"  SpongeBob interrupted the squid.  "I don't even know what's happening!  I don't want to stress you or worry you if it turns out to be nothing.  All I can tell you is there was trouble and it was handled.  Patrick fought with me so we had it handled.  It was something small, and if it turns out the way I hope, it will stay that way."

"Don't you get it, you fool?  It is NEVER something small!  It ALWAYS escalates into something big in this town.  And half the time it turns into something NO ONE can fix until the very last second!  So don't sit there and treat me like a kid!"

"You mean like what you did with me?"

Squidward took a step back.  "Did... did you just hold a grudge?"  SpongeBob looked down as Squidward sighed and smirked.  "I guess you're getting a backbone after all."  He stepped forward and put his hands on the Sponge's shoulders.  "Alright. Maybe I was overreacting.  I just don't want to see you hurt yourself... If you can learn to defend yourself... maybe I can learn to not react so harshly.  I-I'm sorry."

SpongeBob looked up again.  His boyfriend was crying softly as he smiled sweetly.  He couldn't help but smirk himself.  He was always a sucker for that smile.  It was his best feature and really brought out his beauty.  "I do want to tell you, but please... trust me when I say it's for the best that I don't for now.  Should it become worse, I promise I will tell you."

"I trust you, Sponge.  Just... try to stay safe.  Don't do anything too reckless."  SpongeBob nodded and walked over to the couch with him.  They cuddled up and turned on a movie to watch.

"Do you remember how we started dating?"  Squidward asked after sometime.  

"I remember I came to you and you turned me away."

He chuckled.  "Yeah, I did.  I was so scared of what a relationship meant then.  I was mad that I was falling for my rival.  But I think I was mostly nervous of what making the first move would do."

"I remember we were in this living room, and you were turning away.  Every time I tried to face you, you turned the other way again!  I had to grab your cheeks," "SpongeBob grabbed his boyfriends cheeks.  "Like this, and really stare into your eyes to get you to listen to me."

"Yeah, I became so flushed... and you blushed... we shared a look.  A passionate embrace-"

"Before we finally moved in-"

"And shared something great."  They stop talking as their lips lock in an embrace.  They kiss passionately as the movie plays in the background, their hands caressing each other's face.  When they finally pull back, they smile.  "I love you"  SpongeBob said first. 

"I love you too, SpongeBob." They go back to watching the movie.  When that one ends, they start another one, breaking their hold when the other went to go get snacks or use the bathroom.  

Before long, SpongeBob fell asleep in Squidward's arms, snoring.  Squidward kissed his boyfriend's forehead and took him upstairs.  He placed him in his bed, got in beside him, and fell asleep.  He did now know what SpongeBob was hiding, but he still worried it would harm them both.  All he could do until it blew over was enjoy the time they had and hope for the best.