Chapter 4: Sandy's Nose Knows

The blaring alarm wakes up Spongebob from his dream.  He smiled as he remembered the parts with squidward in it, the night before, and realizing it was a workday.  He also frowned remembering that he would have to face Mr. Krabs.  He put on his clothes, fed Gary, and made his way out the door.  

He was walking past Patrick's rock when he heard Squidward's door open up.  He turned around to see the grumpy squid making his way outside.  Spongebob waited for him to catch-up.  "Hello squidward!  You're up early today."

Squidward tried to smile through his tired eyes.  "I figured I could come in early and walk with you."

Spongbob blushed.  "That's so nice, Squidward!  But... don't you usually drive?"

"I... I wanted to walk with you.  Plain and simple."

He smiled.  "Then let's go, love!"  The two started walking again, heading to the Krusty Krab to start their shifts.  SpongeBob smiled being able to walk with Squidward.  However, he started to frown when he remembered having to face Mr. Krabs.  He clutched Squidward's hand and squeezed.

"Is something wrong?"  Squidward asked.  

"Yeah... it's just... I'm glad I told Mr. Krabs off, but I feel bad for doing it.  I'm not looking forward to seeing him."

"Well, why don't you play it by ear?  Go in there and stand your ground.  If you cave he will see that as weakness and devour you.  So be ready to apologize, but let him make the first move."

"You think that'll work?"

"I know so."  

SpongeBob sighed and smiled.  "Thanks Squidward.  I'll try that."

"Please do."  Squidward replied.  They walked the rest of the way to the Krusty Krab making small talk, enjoying the day and the company.  

The two arrived at work.  SpongeBob prepared to cook on his grill and Squidward as ready as he always is.  Mr. Krabs is standing in the doorway to greet them.

"Hello boys."  He said as Squidward walked over to the register.  "Glad to see you survived Squidward.  I was hoping you'd at least be cut since you haven't come back."

"No I just hate my job."

"That I know."  He turned to SpongeBob.  "Nice to see you back boyo."

"Nice to be back."  SpongeBob said monotonously.  "I'm gonna go make some krabby patties now."

Mr. Krabs grabbed SpongeBob's arm with a claw.  "Not so fast!  Do you see what I did?"

SpongeBob looked around the room.  "It looks the same to me.  Did you replace the windows for newer better windows that look the same?"

"Not quite.  I mopped the floors and cleaned the tables.  Things I was hoping you would do."

The sponge stayed silent.  

"I've been thinking.  Maybe you were right."  SpongeBob gasped at his statement before he continued.  "I might've taken advantage of you... I shouldn't expect you to work that hard after hours.  I respect your work and the money you bring in. So, I think you deserve something."

SpongeBob smiled.  "I... I wasn't expecting that... Thank you Mr. Krabs.  I feel a bad for yelling, but I'm glad to see you feel the same!  So, what did you have in mind?"

Mr. Krabs raised his claws defensively.  "Woah woah woah, calm down!  I still haven't decided on it!  Give me time"

"Okay, that's fair.  I better get started on those patties!"  SpongeBob ran off to the kitchen as Squidward glared and shook his head at the greedy crab.  

"Do you really think I'm okay with this?"  He asked when SpongeBob was out of earshot.  "Are you REALLY giving him something?  Or is it another rouse to get him on your side?"

"I'm hurt that you'd think that!  Genuinely!  Of course I plan on giving him a gift!  I just need to find the right amount to spend."

"Of course you do.  I'll believe it when I see it."

"Well, you're not the one I have to convince so get back to work!"  Mr. Krabs walked back into his office while Squidward brooded in his dingy, mad that his boss could be so stingy and SpongeBob so gullible.  

Sandy was the first familiar face Squidward seen all day.  He wasn't keen on seeing her, but it was better than serving random fish who don't know what their eating.  

"Howdy Squidward!  How're things?"  Sandy asked.

Squidward sighed.  "Same old boring routine.  Imbeciles eating like sloths.  Mr. Krabs being a greedy leech.  SpongeBob smiling."  He blushed slightly at the last comment.  

"Well, I-" Sandy stopped midsentence and smelled the air.  "Pee-yew!  Why does it smell like motor oil and scrap metal?" 

Squidward looked shocked.  "I'm surprised you could identify that!  Especially given the cleaning we did."

Sandy smile.  "I learned to pick up a thing or two.  So, what happened?"

"Plankton used a disgusting looking robot and tried to steal the formula.  I'm surprised it made it over here."

"It figures.  At least everyone is okay.  I guess that explains why it smelled outside too."

"Get on with it already!  What do you want?"  Squidward exclaimed.

"Calm down, Squidward.  I'll take a Krabby Patty!  I need something to eat as I conduct research!"

"Then why not eat somewhere not covered in dust?"

"I like Krabby Patties!  And why not support my friends?"  SpongeBob could be heard whooping behind the grill."  "And I hope you and Patrick are ready for training tonight!  We have a lot to learn!"

SpongeBob shouted back.  "Oh course I am!  My spatula is getting rusty!  Incoming!"  SpongeBob grunted as he tossed a Krabby Patty through the window. 

Sandy knocked it into the air so it didn't hit her, and caught it with her other hand.  "Thanks!"  She paid Squidward for the sandwich and made her way out.  "Bye everyone!  See you soon, SpongeBob!  Then we can work on your surprise attacks.  And your aim!"  When she left, everyone went silent.  Squidward tried to read a magazine, SpongeBob cooked more food for the customers that showed up, and Mr. Krabs counted his money.  It was peaceful.  

Time flew by, and the work day ended.  SpongeBob speedily cleaned his grill, put the ingredients away, and kissed Squidward goodbye as he ran outside and over to Sandy's dome.  Eager to do some training with his best friend, Patrick.