Chapter 2: Welcome to the Krusty Krab!

It's a typical day at the Krusty Krab.  The patrons all come to enjoy the taste of the Krabby Patty made by fry cook, SpongeBob.  

The yellow sponge was flipping patties for the line of customers outside the window.  He worked hard to make sure they came out perfect.  A job he wore with pride.  

Squidward, however, couldn't care less and would much rather read his magazine than handle the complaints of the customers as they anxiously awaited their food.  He wore his usual scowl as the crowd groaned.  He shouted back at the fry cook, "SpongeBob!  Hurry up!  The mob is getting angry!"

"Almost done Squidward!  All their orders will be ready in just a minute!"  SpongeBob shouted back.  He was preparing the lettuce and cheese as the fry sizzled and popped.  

"I don't think we can wait that long!"  Squidward said with worried anger in his voice.  "They're more unruly than usual!  Just put the patties on a bun and call it a day already!"  

SpongeBob was readying the buns on the counter, placing them in the best position for the seared meat.  "Almost!"  He ran over to the grill with spatula in hand.  Once there, he sucked in some water and held his breath.  With a powerful movement, he sent the patties flying across the room.  One by one, they landed perfectly on their buns; ready for their master to serve them.  After placing the fixings on each one, he let out a hearty "INCOMING!" and repeated his actions to fling the Krabby Patties out the window.  

Squidward turned around in time to say "In-what?" before ducking to avoid being hit with a sandwich.  When the customers saw what was coming, they each grabbed a tray and proceeded to catch their meals.  Fully satisfied with getting their food, they cheer and walk to separate tables to enjoy it.  Squidward stood up, but was hit in the back of the head with an incoming Krabby Patty.  It splatters on the back of his head and sends the various juices down his back.

He growled.  "SpongeBob!"

SpongeBob poked his head out from the kitchen.  "Whoops. Guess I made one too many!  Sorry Squidward!"  He laughed and went back to work.  Squidward was fuming at the carelessness of his boyfriend.  The sponge was cute, but he was an idiot!  How could he enjoy this job?  He was just glad that he would take precedence over the soul-sucking establishment.  This thought calmed him a little, but only momentarily as he heard the buffoon starfish enter.

"Good Morning Krusty Crew!"  Patrick Star shouted from the entryway.  He walked up to the messy squid with a hungry grin on his face.  His green shorts seemed to shake at knowing it was about to be stretched further.  

Squidward should've known Patrick was going to show up.  "Do you always have to eat here?  Can't you just find somewhere else?"

Patrick looked confused.  "But my best friend works here.  Eating elsewhere would mean I need a new best friend.  And a new sparring partner!  And a new place to eat!"

SpongeBob stuck his head out the window again.  "Patrick!"

"SpongeBob!"

"Do ya want the usual?!"

"Oh boy do I!  ... but how can I if I'm eating elsewhere?"

"Hmm... good question."  The sponge and starfish rubbed their chins and thought on a solution.  After a few seconds, SpongeBob snapped his fingers.  "I got it!  I can make the food and go eat at your new place!"

"That's a great idea!" 

Squidward scowled more.  "That's not how it works, but if it gets you out of my hair then fine."

Patrick cheered, but it wasn't long before he wore a confused look again.  "What's my usual?"

SpongeBob laughed.  "Don't worry, Patrick.  I know what to make!"  SpongeBob ducked back into the kitchen and worked on his best friend's meal.  He was glad to be at work and even happier to bring joy to Bikini Bottom doing it.