↳ FIFTY-FOUR

MUCH TO HER surprise, Izzy didn't struggle to fall asleep for the second time that night — even more astonishing was not stirring awake due to nightmares or pain, not even once, leaving it to sunlight and Maze's shifting to eventually end he...

MUCH TO HER surprise, Izzy didn't struggle to fall asleep for the second time that night — even more astonishing was not stirring awake due to nightmares or pain, not even once, leaving it to sunlight and Maze's shifting to eventually end her slumber the next morning. Maybe it was because of the demon cramped up next to her on the bed, offering warmth and comfort throughout the night, or maybe the previous day had merely squeezed out every ounce of will to fight on. But now, she was all recharged and determined to get the day on the road, even if Maze was all about disagreeing with every confident intention brewing in Izzy's head.

It was no lie that more rest would have done more good than harm, whereas jumping back to work seemed rather ill-advised, but when the doctor cleared Izzy to go home and she was proven to be doing pretty good considering the events of last night, it encouraged to the deputy to aim for the stars. Charlotte needed to be dealt with, albeit perhaps not how Maze had planned, but lying in a hospital bed wasn't what Izzy wanted to contribute to the situation — she was still worth something, scarred or not, not to mention skilled and smart, and thereby useful. And she knew Mazikeen saw that too, making it exactly what the brunette feared so much.

"That doctor's obviously incompetent. You're not ready to go out there and face off with the Divine Bitch", she insisted fierily, muscular arms crossed over her chest as she guarded the door for Izzy's protection — even if that meant from herself, too. Despite the stern tone that was coloring every word and the statue-like stance by the entrance, however, she failed to hide the concern in her, eyes following Isadora's every move and lips pulled into a frown as the redhead pounced from one side of the room to another to stuff her belongings into the bag Dan had delivered last night. And although Izzy could certainly feel the worried stare bore into the back of her head, she still kept her head ducked and focus keenly on the boots she grabbed from beneath the bed.

"I appreciate the concern, Maze, I really do, and you're right. I can't go picking fights with her, so I won't. I just need to take care of Thor— and also check on my mom, and after that, I'll head to work and see if Ella, Chloe or Dan have something I can help with. I'm not gonna do anything stupid, but I don't want to be the incompetent one either, so—", the Holt ranted with a deep sigh, her frustration with herself seeping into her weary voice as she slumped onto the thin mattress and began to undo the knotted ties of her shoes.

She wasn't allowed to finish, though, when the door suddenly flew wide open and the woman half-expected Maze to be fleeing from her, only for a familiar, charming British accent to invade the room and a whiff of aftershave to mix with the bland air. "Mazikeen, what on Earth—", Lucifer, from the sound of it, was on the verge of wondering what the bounty hunter was doing in a hospital, only for his eyes to land on the pale redhead seated on the bed with wide eyes and half a smile tugging on her lips. It was good to see him, even if he, too, had gotten his face rearranged, leaving the two hellish creatures covered in dark bruises. "Izzy?", he was nothing short of shocked as he glanced at Maze, and then back at Isadora, his excessive entrance suddenly shy and cautious, "what happened?"