↳ TWENTY-TWO

"WHAT IS HAPPENING?" Disbelief was bright and clear on Isadora's face as she stared at her mother, who was seated by the table of Ella's lab, accompanied by the scientist herself, and Chloe — the two of them just as astonished

"WHAT IS HAPPENING?" Disbelief was bright and clear on Isadora's face as she stared at her mother, who was seated by the table of Ella's lab, accompanied by the scientist herself, and Chloe — the two of them just as astonished. Of course, Ella had already met Diane and heard epic stories of her taking down criminals like a total badass, and Chloe had been the one to request someone calling Diane in, but there was no denying that they were all surprised to find out that she, Izzy's mom of all people, was the one connection to John Decker they were missing. The needed piece for the puzzle they were trying to solve. "Mom—", Izzy began, but she wasn't quite sure what she was even trying to say, so all that came out was a confused huff while she took a seat by the table as well.

Shakily, Diane took in a deep breath. "You'd call that lovely friend of yours, Dan, some kind of a mentor, wouldn't you, sweetheart?", she turned to Izzy, who glanced between Ella and Chloe before meeting her mother's gaze and slowly nodding. It wasn't like she had particularly tried to hide it — she looked up to Dan, knew that beyond the worst parts of him, he was a good man and a great cop, someone who could teach her a lot of valuable lessons. However, why Diane would bring that up, was causing a cloud of wariness in Izzy's usually soft eyes as she eyed Diane carefully. "Yes, well, my relationship with your father was similar in that manner", Diane directed a soft smile at Chloe then, "I was a homicide detective, he was just a cop trying to do some good in the world, trying to do what I did. We weren't... partners, and he wasn't a detective, yet he did all that work, I'm sure you've noticed", before gesturing towards the scattered files all over the table — a thorn in Izzy's side, causing a wave of anxiety to wash over her.

As Isadora pushed the chair away with a screech and proceeded to arrange John Decker's old files, in the process also keeping an eye out for anything worthwhile, Diane let out a deep sigh and shrugged. "The day he died, he told me he'd stumbled on something big and wanted to tell me all about it. I trusted his gut, I knew he was good at what he did, but I didn't think that much of it — it was getting late, and I remembered him mentioning a place with the best sandwiches", Diane was getting choked up, clearly distraught and still full of guilt, even after all these years, even if she hadn't been the one behind the trigger. At the mention of the restaurant, Chloe's eyes lit up in the saddest way possible, and Izzy could only figure that it had a more significant meaning, but she remained silent while stacking up the papers.

"Well, we—uh, we discovered that it was actually a hit, so... there's nothing you could have done, Mrs. Holt. Even if you hadn't sent him there, they... could have gotten him elsewhere. Maybe right in our home", Chloe tried to find some kind of silver lining, something to relieve Diane of the pressure pushing on her heart, but it didn't come out as convincing — of course, it was true, and Izzy would never in a million years blame her mother, or anyone except the true villain of the story, but the sad truth was that there was no silver lining. There was only blood and a broken family.