↳ TWENTY-SIX

"HOW WAS CHURCH?"

Izzy was peeking from behind the grand, purple seat that Lucifer had taken over at the crime scene they were all situated at, looking like a king on a throne. Eventually, though, he turned to the woman with a groan and bored eyes, and Isadora's grin was the furthest thing from innocent, knowing full-well how to tease the man. No doubt the person who tried to convince people of his devilish nature was not pleased to have gossip about him going to the church floating around the precinct, but he couldn't possibly stay mad at Izzy when the woman rested her jaw on top of the velvet cushion so adorably. But, that didn't mean he wasn't willing to fire back.

"How was Maze? Knowing you two, I'm afraid you should stop by the church next", he pointed out, and immediately, heat flushed to Izzy's cheeks. He wasn't wrong — though they had ended the night in their own, separate beds in their own homes, they had enjoyed their own little bubble at Lux, lips locked and hands roaming curiously. Usually, Izzy kept the PDA at a minimum, holding hands and cheek kisses still passed with flying colors but making out so blatantly was not typical for her. But, in her defense, she had been buzzing, partly because of the one drink she had had and partly because of Maze and how fresh everything was. Excluding a few random hook-ups and dates, she hadn't really had anyone special in her life since high school, and to finally feel that thrilling rush course through her again, to be so excited to see someone and so eager to feel someone... It was pushing her to her boundaries.

And, it wasn't like the people at Lux were going to judge her, or anything.

"Oh, hush, you", Izzy waved her finger in the air after pushing herself off of the throne. "Come on, we have a case to tackle, remember? You're lucky I came to get you before Chloe", she softly kicked Lucifer's foot, and unable to argue with that, the man grabbed the hand being offered to him and let Izzy drag him downstairs to Detective Decker and Ms. Lopez, both hard at work already.

The newest murder assigned to Chloe and her team, which Izzy was proud to be a part of, had taken place in a glorious mansion, at the head of a full dinner table where a man had bled to his death with a shard of glass stuck to his neck. That was what Ella was quick to pinpoint, her tongs hoisted up in the air to show the shiny, bloodied piece of a champagne glass to the people around her. "Someone really popped his cork", the scientist nodded vigorously, glancing towards Chloe and Lucifer on the other side of the table before turning to Izzy, who was trying to hide a smile next to her — maybe the others weren't so impressed with her sense of humor, but she could always rely on Isadora. "You know, like", Ella mimicked, hissing as she pretended to stab herself in the neck and then bleed all over, "you guys, like, the blood's the champagne. Like when you open a bottle, his neck was the—", cut off by Chloe and Lucifer.

"We got it."

As Ella proceeded to study the broken glass in order to eventually put it all back together, Izzy was tasked with asking around for any potential witnesses, in case anyone had seen someone suspicious enter the house, and while Chloe requested Dan to dig up all the info on the victim, Lucifer... Well, Lucifer had so kindly recognized the victim as Dean Cooper, a real-estate tycoon, but not soon after that, he was already fleeing the scene. "Maze says there's a problem at Lux", was all the prompting he needed to button his jacket and head for the exit, and while Izzy was holding a handful of glass for Ella, she couldn't help but let herself get distracted — not only by the idea of Mazikeen and Lucifer texting, she had so many questions about that, but by the mention of the demon in the first place. And there was no hiding the dreamy smile on her lips.