Chapter 1: Raven

It began to snow in July. Of course, though, everyone in my town kept quiet about it. The ruler, Kendrick, would let us know if there was a problem. I remember a teacher in my school, against the rules, wrapping my knuckles every time I said his name without the r. Good times.

"Ms. Grave, do stop looking out the window!" Ugh, teachers. Mrs. Kushner went to the only window in the classroom and yanked the curtains closed sending us to darkness. Blue flames flickered on top of Cyrus's head next to me. The flames burst into two others, one over me and one still over him. I tried to send him a smile but he was looking at the board in front. The flames burst again and eventually covered the whole classroom. Mrs Kushner looked pleased but kept her mouth shut. I looked back at Cyrus and saw how well he looked in Firelight. His cheekbones caught the light and seemed to hold on to them. His black hair covered his face in tufts. His dark eyes almost seemed purple. But what does it matter? His eyes would be pink before I'd be allowed to look at him for a minute. A slap on the back of my head gets me out of the daze. Mrs. Kushner walks past me with the evil eye that said You know the rules, now follow them or you're out. My brother laughed from the other side of the room. Mrs. Kushner didn't even look. That teacher's pet, he'd hear about it later and he knew it. My eyes went back to my mahogany wood desk. I snuck a peek at Cyrus but he still looked ahead at the back of the head of the girl in front of him. What a disaster.

Not exactly. I looked around me, no one stopped looking at the board like they were supposed to. No one spoke. Mrs. Kushner continued talking about the War of 1812. Like we care what happened 7,000 years ago.

My count down to the bell started.

«»

Lunch came around and went by slowly. Sense you weren't allowed to look at anyone other then your family and a select few of Elders, everyone ate quickly and left. No one said hello or goodbye, no one said pass the salt or a napkin, no one said anything but please and thank you. My dad says it's because they're all born with some weird telepathic language that Grave's are born without. I don't know if he was telling the truth but I can't ask him now.

What if I helped you?

I jumped out of my seat and looked around.

"Who said that?" Everyone began to cover their ears and faces and rock back and forth like they were next to a train when it blew its horn. Mrs. Kushner speed walks towards me. She rips my arm out of my socket pulling me to the principal's office.

"Mr. Keating is on break," She shoved me in. "Ruin anything and I'll have your eyes cut out." She paused. She knew she was only trying to get me to follow the rules but her face broke open with shock and terror of what she had just said. "Just, don't break anything ok?" Her voice was softer now, I knew she felt guilty. She closed the door and walked away.

I sat down in one of the green leather chairs. I had been in here so many times everyone knew the chair was mine and no one else sat in it. Not even Elders. I like to think it's because I have their respect. Well that and a while ago I put itching powder on it to keep people away.

I grabbed one of Mr. Keating's Home and Living magazines and looked at the date. October 2nd 3002. Antique. Nice. The door to the office opened slowly.

"Raven?" Someone whispered.

Hide.

I'm going crazy.

Just hide. We'll talk later.

You don't exist-

Just hide for heaven's sake and all below!

I dove under the desk just as the door opened all the way. Two men stood in the doorway.

"Where is she?" One asked the other.

"I don't kna'. She said she would 'e here."

"Look all we have to do is take her to the Buldine for trial." Trial? The only trials in Eason were deciding whether the criminal should get shot or zapped. A ring of blue fire circled the men. Cyrus jumped out behind them and ran towards me.

"We have to go." The window in front of us dissipated. Leaving us with a hole in the wall.