Chapter 30: Darkness

Marius, Lamora, and Kai'shin walked toward the rising sun as it rifled from its slumber over the high mountain the loomed over the land in the distance. They had been traveling to, what used to be, the border of the opposing factions since the day before when they had left the Gate of Psy. The mountain lorded menacingly over the land, its shadow carved its way into the Guild's territory like a spear. Marius glared at the foreboding mountain, knowing it was more than just an obstacle to over come. It was something more, but what? He studied the mountain carefully, other than its sheer size it seemed no different than any other mountain. As he looked it over trying to find some oddity that stuck out he noticed that the peak of the mountain was slightly misshapen. At its peak there was a spire rising up like a beacon. To Marius there was little doubt that this was the next . He opened up his wings to take flight only to have Lamora put her hand on his shoulder.

“No, they have hundreds of magical beasts awaiting your approach from the air.” She said.

“Then we are forced to travel on foot?” he asked.

“Yes, its unfortunate that it will strain our time, however its better than the alternative.” Replied Kai'shin.

Marius sighed heavily before he reluctantly agreed. As the three of them began to press onward a wave of fire and lightning streaked across their path. The blast exploded searing the air and ground as Syphon walked into view his eyes blazing with fire. His armor and double-ended spear gave off a dark aura as lightning streaked across them as Marius glared at Syphon.

“What do you want?” he demanded.

Syphon didn't respond his deathly glare affixed onto Marius while his spear was held tightly in his hand. The dark aura continued to flow from his body growing larger as his fiery eyes darkened what little could be seen behind the mask. His spear was an odd looking weapon with spearheads at both ends as well as a pair of curved double-edged blades with serrated backs on both ends.

Marius moved in front of Kai'shin and Lamora. “This is my fight, don't interfere” he told them.

Without warning Syphon attacked, spinning his blade as Marius' eyes once again went black, then, a sudden sharp pain across his chest as the blindness faded from his eyes revealing a deep wound across his chest. Syphon again swiped at him, this time in an upward motion, but Marius leaped back seeing that Syphon had somehow gained an ability of one of his comrades. Marius kept his distance trying to study him and see if a memory of a previous hunter could tell him what was going on. Deciding that a ranged attack was the best Marius sent a jet of flame at Syphon who ducked under the flame and slashed his spear downward sending a lightning infused wave of fire back at Marius. Lifting his arms up Marius blocked the incoming blast which exploded with him after a few seconds sending Marius flying back and into the ground. Kai'shin, who had been watching up to this point realized that Marius could not take this fight alone and neither could he.

“Lamora, we're going to have to step in.” he said before realizing his statement was pointless to be said, Lamora was at that very moment throwing a fireball at Syphon. Syphon never even looked their way and simply sliced the fireball in half sending it to either side of him in a large dusty impact. Kai'shin slid in front of Lamora and sent a ball of energy at their attcker. Syphon lifted his spear which once risen flashed a bright orange as Syphon guided the ball of energy back at Kai'shin and Lamora. Marius during this time had come to his senses and attacked from the side sweeping his claw at Syphon's right side. Spyhon leaped back and out of the way as Kai'shin put up a shield to protect Lamora and himself from the blast which ensued when the ball of energy hit the shield. Marius wasted no time sending a jet of magical energy at Syphon. Syphon at this point was too irritated to care, swiping his spear upwards again he split the magical blast in two letting it rip apart the land behind him.

Lamora fell to one knee as the light from the sun crept closer by the second. Kai'shin soon took notice quickly looked to Marius who had a hold of Syphon's weapon holding in in place as he sent a beam of yellow energy at Syphon's face at point blank range. Syphon leaned his head back dodging the blast, but just barely. The blast ripped the ground up into dust searing Syphon's face guard and the forward spike of his helm black. As Syphon rose back from his dodge he used Marius' strength to vault himself up and twisted his legs as he kicked downward kicking Marius between the eyes sending him back in a daze. As Marius shook his head trying to regain his footing Syphon sent a blast of thunderous lightning at him moving him back further.

“Marius! The sun.” yelled Kai'shin as the sunlight finally pierced over the tip of the mountaintop.

Syphon wasting no time with the distraction saw his opportunity to get Marius to take his dark form. Sending a massive wave of lightning and flame at a soon to be dead Lamora. Marius looked on feeling helpless as the wave erupted sending fire rock and dust high into the air. Marius couldn't stop himself his rage took over as his eyes and skin went black while he took his dark hunter form. Glaring at Syphon he stood ready and roared loudly as the sun and sky went black while his aura became a deep blood red, the cinders floated from the smoke rising from his eyes while the muscles in his body tensed up while he stood ready to fight. Syphon smiled under the face guard, he could finally prove that he was the better fighter and more powerful being. Syphon charged in leaping into the air as his weapon spun in his hands wildly before slicing downward at Marius. Looking up his facial expressions never changed he simply caught the tip of the spear in his hand. The force of the attack shattered the ground under and around Marius' feet. Their unwavering eyes only revealed the deadly intent behind their actions. Pushing forward with all his might trying to break the grip Syphon slid the edge of the spear into Marius' hand. Sparks flew from Marius' hand as he growled and drove the claws of his wings forward at Syphon. Spinning his spear quickly he blocked the attack with the staff of it. Marius roared as his tail whipped out snapping into Syphon an sending him flying through the air and skidding across the barren dirt. Before Syphon could stand Marius was already flying at him silently not a sound could be heard from Marius as his spiked wings soared with him at his target. Syphon quickly stood up blocking the wing with his spear. Before Syphon realized what was happening Marius had folded the blocked wing in and had swiped his claw down at Syphon cleaving into his breastplate armor. Syphon jumped back then rolled out of the way as Marius sent a wave of black flames down at him from above. Standing back up he sent a ball of lightning infused fire at Marius who dodged then swooped down at him. Leaping out of the way Syphon thrust his spear forward sending hundreds of lightning bolts into the webbing of Marius' wings three of which pierced the webbing burning small holes into his wings. Marius roared in pain as he walked forward and fell to one knee as the singed holes in his wings glowed lightly from the scorch marks. Syphon attacked again charging the kneeling Marius from behind. Syphon swiped his spinning spear downward before seeing a black flash cut across his vision. Marius tail knocked the weapon and Syphon back with ease as he slowly rose to his feet. His wings opened freshly healed from the burns. Marius turned as Syphon charged him stabbing his spear over Marius' left shoulder twisting it sideways and pulling executioner style the extended blade was pulled towards Marius' neck. Never moving his glare Marius quickly reached up and grabbed the staff of the spear holding it in place just inches from his neck. Raising the spear up Marius swiped hard slicing into Syphon's chest as his blood sprayed across Marius and the ground. Syphon stumbled back coughing, blood lurching out of his mouth.

“I will not be killed so easily!” Syphon yelled as he raised his spear high into the air. Swiping it down using up all his energy he sent an immense wave of lightning infused flame at Marius. Marius stared blankly before opening his mouth and pulling dark energy to the tip of his snout and shooting it at Syphon. The two blasts met halfway between the fighters, the dark energy split the flame open displacing its energy outward as it streaked to Syphon. Syphon didn't have time to react his body was enveloped shattering his spear as he slowly disintegrated into ash.

Marius snorted loudly as he looked around at the scene still unable to find Lamora or Kai'shin who had also disappeared in the fight. His rage was now replaced with sorrow as he was alone again, no one to take the burden off of him, no one to help him fight and survive. He couldn't stop thinking about Lamora, something in him felt like it had died. His body returned to normal as the sky and sun returned to their normal state. Marius completely spent of energy fell to the ground unconscious.