Chapter 5: A Night on the town

The Hunters

Chapter 5: A night on the town

Marius backed away slowly as his accusers advanced towards him. He checked for a way out of the inn. At this point in time he didn't want a fight if he could avoid one. Both exits were blocked. He heard creaking on the roof as if there were another fight being fought above him. Suddenly the ceiling collapsed and a woman fell through the hole in the roof. Without considering the consequences Marius caught her, and to his surprise it was Lamora.

“Well this is a surprise.” said Marius.

"What's wrong with them?" she asked, "They're acting cannibalistic, and they're acting more organized than erratic."

"Well that's just great." Marius replied sarcastically, "Why don't we knight the whole town for being organized while we’re here. It'll be our gift to them!" he said.

"Ha ha, that is very funny. Marius what are we going to do? We’re surrounded!" yelled Lamora.

"For now just let me protect you." said Marius calmly as he scanned the room to see who would attack first.

"Ahh, that's sweet, but it’s not necessary. I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself." replied Lamora as she produced two small swords. "Want one?" she asked.

"You never told me you were a fighter." replied Marius ignoring the question.

"There are many things you don't know about me." said Lamora.

"ENOUGH," said one of the men, "KILL THEM BOTH!"

A man dove at Marius. As Marius dodged the attack he rammed his elbow into the back of the man's skull, forcing the man's body into a nearby wall.

Lamora moved swiftly, cutting three men through their waists. As the top halves of their bodies fell forward, a mist of blood filled the air for a moment then fell to the floor. Lamora stood up and looked at Marius, "This won’t take long at all, especially if this is the best they can do." she said.

"I agree." said Marius as he stood on a table and yelled "C'MON GIVE US A REAL CHALLENGE!"

The townsmen obliged with a massive charge. Marius and Lamora cut through them with ease. As the blood covered the inn they walked out side by side, ready for anything to attack them.

"I'm getting tired," said Lamora, "I think I'm going to retreat to the woods." said Lamora as she started staggering forward.

"What’s wrong with you I thought you were tougher than this." said Marius as he followed her towards the forest.

When they reached the clearing into the woods at the edge of town Marius found that he was now cornered. He was surrounded by men from all directions, except for his back, which was against the wall of a house. He quickly noticed a door close enough for him to reach. He took his chance and quickly escaped inside.

“Where did Lamora go? She was right beside me then I was surrounded!” Marius wondered.

At that moment he realized the house he was in was filled with boxes full of lanterns and fuel. He looked up in time to see a torch being thrown through a window. He had no choice as his body fluxed into its hunter form. The building erupted in flames as it did he heard the sinister laugh of a woman.

"I thought you were going to be a challenge but I guess I was wrong." said the woman’s voice taunting Marius as it echoed through the town.

Then from the flames Marius roared in anger and the flames grew twice their size in height as Marius walked out of the building consumed in fire, his eyes glowed blood red and a small flame flowed from each one as he replied to the voice "Is that the best you can do?!" he yelled as his wings spread wide. "Let's see what you got!" Marius roared.