Chapter 21: The Seal of Love and Hate

The Hunters

Chapter 21: The Seal of Love and Hate

Marius flew over the trees towards a foreboding tower built over the next seal. He began to notice a burning smell in the air as everything around him became darker the closer he got. The trees became black and dead, the grass slowly became brown and then just dirt and clay. The sky became a blood red as the clouds turned black. Marius soon felt the eyes of something watching him. He looked around very slowly trying to determine if it was just his imagination when he heard a loud screech from behind him. Marius turned to see a fiery phoenix streaking toward him, talons extended.

Marius dove to avoid the attack and pulled his tired body up and watched as the phoenix came about and charged at him again. Marius sighed as he dove down into the trees trying to avoid a needless fight if at all possible. The phoenix, on the other hand, had other plans as it skimmed the tops of the trees, setting them ablaze.

"All I wanted was to save some energy. But do I get to? No! And why? Because some giant flaming bird thinks I look like a tasty snack!" Marius complained as the trees burned all around him.

Marius turned and began flying towards the tower again. Dodging trees and branches, a path soon opened for Marius. Marius had just made it through the clearing when he heard a reminding screech from behind him. Marius turned to see the phoenix skimming the tree line, once more coming at him. Marius bolted in the opposite direction, franticly trying to get away. The phoenix opened its great beak and sent a jet of fire to the ground as he got closer and closer to Marius. Marius could feel the jet of fire right at the tip of his tail. Time seemed to slow down as Marius exited the forest into a clearing then time seemed to return to normal as Marius dropped off a cliff at the edge of the forest. The phoenix lifted up its head and ceased the flames that had been chasing Marius. It flew a short distance to a nearby pillar, looking to see where its prey had gone.

Marius watched the phoenix from a distance, keeping himself hidden. Knowing a creature such as this was well capable of seriously harming and or killing him if it landed a direct hit. Without warning, the pillar of stone Marius was hiding behind suddenly exploded into a cloud of dust, rock, and flame that knocked him to the ground. Marius knew he had been found somehow by the phoenix. He quickly stood up and was now facing the ravenous phoenix in a stand off. Then something inside him clicked. An overwhelming feeling of unrestrained rage consumed him and in a split second he had carefully plotted his victory over this opponent. Marius stared down the phoenix, not giving any warning of his next move. After a moment passed they both launched fireballs at each other which collided into a large explosion. The phoenix wasted no time continuing its attack, sending a jet of flame through the inferno. The fiery bird screeched loudly and closed its mouth, as the dust settled Marius’ body was nowhere to be seen. Thinking its prey had fled again it cawed loudly. Then the sound off falling rocks caught the phoenix’s attention, turning to follow its prey all the bird saw was Marius coming right at him. The phoenix had no time to react Marius flew in from the side and smashed the phoenix's ankle through the other side of its leg sending it off balance and wounding it at the same time. The phoenix fell to the ground, sending the jet of flame into the tower. While the phoenix slowly stood up to continue fighting, Marius came back around and flew right into the phoenix's side breaking one of its wings as it collapsed to the ground again. Severely wounded and unable to move the phoenix watched as an infuriated Marius flew back at it and mercilessly ripped out its throat. Marius then looked at the tower to see it crumbling to the ground.

"What a nice gesture." he thought to himself, "I should thank him for saving me the trouble of doing it myself." he said to himself as he flew towards the seal to break it. Just as he did before Marius absorbed the power from the symbol at the base of the tower and the seal cracked. Marius turned and looked into the horizon. Not able to control his thoughts of Lamora, and for a moment, he wished she were there with him.