Chapter 14: The Nightmare Set Forth

The Hunters

Chapter 14: The Nightmare Set Forth

The explosion cut across the sky, seemingly ripping it in half. Only an ominous cloud of flame hung in the air. The bone dragon looked up as he waited patiently for Marius to attack. The dark cloud seemed menacing, almost as black as night. Marius shot down, ripping through the cloud like a bullet, twisting through the air and used his tail to smash the bone dragon’s head into the ground. Spinning sideways Marius opened his wings hovering above the assassins and sent a wave of flame scorching down at them. Doing their best to avoid being roasted by the flames, Kyast, Malibar, and Syphon leaped back and attacked. Marius smiled as their weapons struck his armored skin without even scratching it. Marius opened his mouth and let out a loud, low-pitched bellow that temporarily deafened the assassins, then head butted Kyast and grabbed Malibar with his tail and threw him back at the bone dragon. Marius exhaled two streams of black smoke through his nose on either side of Syphon's head. Syphon looked on in horror as a white object swooped down at an angle and sent Marius flying into a building. The bone dragon's tail whipped wildly as he slowly turned around, stumbling, trying to get his bearings on the situation. Planting his claws into the ground, the bone dragon threw his head back and brought it back down quickly, stopping when his neck leveled. The bone dragon sent a fire blast soaring at Marius. The explosion ripped the building apart. Marius’ eyes could be seen glowing brightly in the flames as he glared at the bone dragon and the assassins around him.

"All of you, run!" roared the bone dragon, "Get out of here now!"

The assassins did as they were told, running to escape the coming onslaught. The assassins never stopped running, doing whatever they could to get away faster. The flames around Marius slowly became darker and swirled into a violet ball of flame. Marius launched himself in the air surrounded by a ball of black fire. Marius opened his mouth allowing the consuming fire envelope inside it. Marius let forth a massive blast of flames barreling down at the bone dragon. The bone dragon used the last of his energy to send a blast of energy to stop the flames. The eruption from the two colliding blasts rent the town asunder. Marius and the bone dragon fell to the ground completely spent from the battle each having only enough energy to keep their bodies alive.

As nightfall came, Lamora looked out onto the unsuspecting army awaiting them, her heart raced as blood filled fantasies of devouring them filled her mind.

"Commander," yelled one of the soldiers, "there was a huge battle today, our scouts sent to investigate reported watching a large bone dragon and three men fighting what seemed to be a small black dragon."

Lamora's eye filled with fear at the picture in her mind.

"Daegroth." she whispered in horror. "Ready the men! We attack within the hour. Afterward we need to leave the area immediately. Bring me the messenger mage NOW!!" she demanded.

The messenger mage arrived shortly afterward running into the tent with a swift disposition.

"Close the curtains." said Lamora.

The mage bowed as he closed the curtains behind him.

"I need to speak to the council immediately!" roared an enraged Lamora.

"Of course Ma’m." replied the mage. The mage opened his hands, his eyes became black while a blue flame appeared in his hands and an image of the council appeared in it.

"Lamora how is your progress?" asked the council leaders as their voices echoed through the flame.

"The Dark Legion has not been putting up much of a fight. It makes me wonder what they're waiting on." answered Lamora.

"This news is troubling. We have had similar reports from across the frontline. Be on your guard, the Dark Legion is well known for their deceit in things such as war and murder." warned the Council Leader.

"I also bring more troubling news of another sort." said Lamora

"Oh?" inquired the Council leader.

"Yes," she replied, "there was a battle in the area recently. Scouts in the area reported a bone dragon and three warriors of unknown alignment fighting a small black dragon. The description suggests a Dark Hunter, possibly Daegroth." Lamora told them.

"Impossible!" shouted one of the Council members, "Daegroth was slain centuries ago."

"That is true; however, this news of a possible Dark Hunter is quite disturbing. If the prophecy is true we will need the help of the new hunter made by the Dark Legion." said the Council Leader. "I will have Kai'shin find the one known as Marius and bring him here. Marius is not to be harmed. We need his help to find out what the Dark Legion is planning." he ordered.

"As you command." replied Lamora.

The flame slowly dissipated. The mage looked up at Lamora.

"As is your preference I shall never speak of what I heard." said the mage.

"Very well, now leave me to my plans." She ordered.

Elsewhere in a dark cavern stood an obelisk with a familiar figure standing in front of it. Norik approached from a dark corner.

"Are the preparations complete?" asked a booming deep voice from the obelisk.

"Almost, sire." replied the familiar figure.

"Master, the Dark Legion's troops are in place all we have to do is capture the Gate of Psy, and then we'll be ready." reported Norik.

"Good! Soon you shall return. Then you shall rule the world once again." said the familiar figure laughing fiendishly at the progression of his plan.