Chapter 13: The Strength of Darkness

The Hunters

Chapter 13: The Strength of Darkness

Marius opened his eyes. Looking down slowly he realized he was in human form. Staggering to his feet he noticed that his old weapons were on his arms again. He looked up towards the top of the mountain and smirked slightly.

"To the top first," he told himself, "then I'll take care of those fools who started this." He started once more up the mountain. Quietly hiking up the moss covered boulders and the steep rocky face of the mountain he neared the end of the first half of it at dusk. Resting near a tree he heard the flapping of wings and a low growl from above. His index fingers slid to the tips of his spear tipped razor whips that wrapped around his armbands. Marius looked up to see an enormous bone dragon flying overhead. The wind from the dragon's wings bent the trees over and back. Marius could only attempt to stand against the wind as it threw him back. The dragon landed in front of a cave and stared into the forest.

"I may not be able to see you young hunter, but this old dragon can still pick up your scent." said the bone dragon, "Come, you must reach the top before sun is completely set and you still have a long way to go on foot. Climb my back and I shall take you the rest of the way."

Marius looked at the bone dragon curiously. "Who are you?" Marius inquired.

"I am the keeper of the mountain as well as the guide employed by the hunters." he replied

"Employed? So you mean to say my race is still in existence?" asked Marius.

The bone dragon laughed "You are an inquisitive one. Hasn't it occurred to you that your own existence is the answer to the question you just asked me?" answered the bone dragon.

Marius walked out of the forest looking quite astonished at the answer given to him. Knowing that if the bone dragon had truly been an enemy he would have killed him long before now. Marius slowly climbed on to the bone dragon's back. Flying over the trees, Marius looked down into the forest covering the mountain.

"What awaits me at the peak?" Marius wondered, "Either way, vengeance will be mine." Marius told himself.

"This is what you asked for." those words echoed in his mind. They were truer now then when this all began. Selvak was correct, this was everything he wanted. But what was the cost? For all the power given to him he still felt empty. What was the point in being one of the most feared beings in the world if you were still empty? If that didn’t fill his void what would? As Marius dwelled upon theses things, he had an epiphany. What good would it do him to be feared and how would it change his situation. Those thoughts filled Marius with anger. Was the path he had chosen the right one? That question seemed to consume Marius with fear.

"We're here." announced the bone dragon as he began to descend into the trees.

Marius leaped down from the bone dragon's back. He stood at the edge of a cliff at the top of the mountain.

"Is something supposed to happen?" asked Marius irritated after standing for a few moments.

"We have to wait until sunrise." he replied.

"Then what was the point of bringing me up here before sunset?!" demanded Marius.

"Because the spell will not work otherwise!" roared the bone dragon angrily, slamming his claws into the ground two of which landed on either side of Marius, "Now be patient!" the bone dragon glared at Marius furiously.

To Marius, the eyes of the bone dragon gazed into his very core.

“Tell me, how is it that you came to be a hunter?” asked the bone dragon.