Part 27

Luke’s pov

   I turn to see where the mysterious voice is coming from. A shadow passes over Cassie’s face as she sees who it is – she clearly knows him. “Harry what are you doing?” she asks. So this is the oh-so-famous Harry. I feel myself tense as I see the way they look at each other, like they’re both in on something that I’m not a part of.  

“What I need to do.” Harry replies to her, she seems to be confused by this.

“Let me go Harry.” she whispers and I can’t help but notice how she’s completely forgotten that I’m still here.

“So this is Harry?” I ask, trying my best not to sound pathetic. But what can I do when my girlfriend clearly is sharing secrets with someone else? She breathes in a little, turning to face me with a forced smile. She nods in reply to my question, biting the inside of her cheek. I can feel Harry scowling at me, his hand still wrapped around Cassie’s arm. She tries to break free from him, but she’s failing. I stand in shock, wondering what on earth is happening. I do nothing but stare as he drags her out. I imagine them kissing, his hands around her and spring into action.

   “Prioritise here Sandra! What’s more important, a stupid boy or our whole-“ I hear him saying as I approach them. Stupid boy. So that’s how she sees me, just a boy. I can tell Harry is older than us, but hearing him call me a boy gets under my skin, making me flush with heat.

“Your whole what?” I ask, trying my best not to focus on the stupid boy comment any more. Cassie’s hands clench and unclench into fists as she turns to face me. “I knew something was going on with you.” I mumble, watching as she looks at me with pity. I don’t need her pity, I need her. I start to feel sick, wishing we could rewind to the toasts.

“It’s not-“ she whispers, her voice soft.

“We haven’t got time for this rubbish Sandra, come on.” he demands, walking the opposite way to me. Cassie is suspended between us and I can feel her tension. She glances at me with an uncertain look on her face, and for a moment I dupe myself into thinking that she’ll come to me instead of following her beloved Harry. But that moment passes as I see her eyes harden, her decision made. “Harry, wait five minutes. I have to get some stuff from my room.” she says, a finality in her voice.

“I’ll be down here. Five minutes tops or I come to find you.” he says.

    I glance at her as she brushes past me as if I’m not here. Why is she doing this? What is the point of acting like she likes me if she was going to run off? What’s with the reluctance? My mind starts swimming in questions which I need to ask her, but my mouth remains shut. I turn and follow her up to my room, thinking of the best way to start on the list of my questions. “Are you going to stay there?” she hisses at me, clearly pissed. Frustration takes root in me, she’s the one who should be explaining here. Why is it up to me to ask for clarification?

“Until I get some explanation. What is all of this?”

“Pukey, I really can’t-“

“I’m tired of hearing that Cassie. Are you and Harry involved?” I ask automatically.

“No. No we’re not! But I have to go with him.” she replies, as if that answer is enough. She pulls out her suitcase, fiddling around with it. Does she really think that that’s a sufficient answer? It’s not fair to do this to me, I deserve to know. I think bitterly.“If you walk out right now I…” I whisper, not sure of what I’m going to say.

“You what?” she asks scathingly.

“I won’t be able to forgive you.” I hear myself saying. I realise it’s true – if she walks out now then that means she’s picking him over me. That’s not something that I can live with. How could anyone? How could I accept that she really wants to be with me when she’s always prioritising Harry?

“Well I’m sorry then.” she mutters, her eyes locked with mine as she starts slowly edging out. I feel my heart drop as I watch her.

“Cassie you really shouldn’t do this!” I exclaim, lunging towards her and grabbing her arm. She glares at me, not liking this movement.

“You can’t stop me pukey.”

“I mean it Cassie, you can’t go with him.” I beg her, it just doesn’t seem right. “I can’t let you.” I add, hoping this will change her mind.

“You don’t get to let me.” she hisses, pulling herself away from me.

“If you leave I-“ I whisper, my voice wavering as she continues to glare. But this has no effect on her. She merely turns away from me and walks down the stairs, leaving me standing in my room with a broken heart and an empty chest.

AN: Here is Luke's POV! What's happening with Sandra and Harry though? 

DUN DUN DUUUUN