Part 23

“Tada!” pukey says, opening my car door with a flourish. I gasp as I see where he’s brought me – it’s all my mother ever used to talk about when she mentioned her school. “The firefly field.” I whisper, stepping out in awe. I turn to see him grinning madly at me.

“I’ve heard your mother was a massive fan of this place.” he whispers delicately.

“Yeah.” I reply, taking my shoes off so I can feel the grass beneath my feet. I turn to him, shaking my head, “how did you know that?” I whisper.

“I know more than you think I do.” he replies, extending his hand out to me. I take it and we walk for a bit, seeing the odd firefly flitting here or there as we do. “Pukey, I… I don’t know what to say.” I whisper, tears filling my eyes. I grip his hand tighter, trying to convey how much this means to me.

“How much do you know about your mothers time here?” he asks me quietly. I shrug, not wanting to speak for fear of crying. “Not much, she rarely spoke about school.” I reply, wishing I wasn’t so scared of crying.

“Well, she broke most records at this place. Outshone any girl who ever came before, and so far, all the girls that have come since.”

“She was something special.” I whisper, bringing my other hand up to dry my face from the tears that are already flowing. Pukey stops, turning me to face him. I stare at our feet, not wanting him to see me cry, but knowing that he’s already seen that weakness in me. It disturbs me that someone has seen me cry and that that someone is pukey. He drops my shoes, which I hadn’t even noticed he was carrying, and cups my cheek in his hand. “Look at me Cassie.” he says tenderly, causing more tears to flow down my face.

“Sorry, this was an amazing idea, I just…” I whisper, trying not to think of their mangled bodies. The more I try to blot it out, the harder it becomes, until soon I’m sobbing. “I’m too weak.” I whisper, covering my face with my hands and stepping away from him. I feel him hugging me, his hands planted firmly on the mid of my back and I wrap my arms around his neck, crying into his chest.

   After a while, my sobs subside, but I don’t feel like moving out of pukey’s arms. He’s stroking my back softly, which is oddly relaxing. I could get used to this I find myself thinking, which shocks me into moving away from him. “I’m sorry pukey, I totally ruined your amazing idea.” I whisper, embarrassed that I was crying into him – again.

“Don’t apologise Cassie, come on, lets sit.” he says, pulling me down to the ground as he takes a seat. I laugh as I fall on top of him, awkwardly straddling him and he grins. “Or we could assume this position, either works for me.” he whispers in a deep voice which stirs something inside me. I bite my lip as my eyes flicker between his eyes and his lips. Why does he seem so much more beautiful now then he did a few weeks ago? I feel a blush rising on my cheeks as I realise what I’m thinking. This can’t be happening – I can’t fall for pukey. He’s part of a mission, not someone that I can be with. But even so, something about him is drawing me towards him. His eyes roam my face, his hands sliding from my hands to my lower back. I lean my head towards his, smiling as his eyes lock onto my lips. I can hear him breathing and feel his hot breath on my lips. Damn it I shouldn’t kiss him right now, but how I want to. Leaning closer, I’m about to kiss him when his phone starts to ring. He cusses quietly, as I laugh softly. “I don’t want to move.” he mutters, his voice dangerously seductive.

“I think you should get that.” I whisper back, quickly pecking him on the lips and rolling away off him. He groans and fishes his phone out of his pocket, mumbling about bad timing. “Hey mum.” he says, shaking his head at me and rolling his eyes, causing me to laugh. I hear his mum saying something about Christmas, and oddly he blushes, looking at me. I frown at him, cocking my head to one side as if to ask for an explanation. He clears his throat, “No, not yet. Yes I will. I’ll let you know can you just let me ask her before drilling me? Sure. Bye.” he says, hanging up the phone.