Part 24

I fiddle with my suitcase, my mind whirling, unable to process what’s happening. I’m actually going to spend the first two weeks of Christmas with pukey, which involves meeting his family. For some reason, I feel uneasy. I’ve never really been a warm person, people don’t instantly like me like they do with Steph. Normally this doesn’t bother me, I couldn’t care less what people think, but for some reason I really want pukey’s family to like me. “Ready?” he asks me, as we stand by the limo his dad has sent.

“I think so.” I reply, nerves getting the better of me. The past month had flown by, and pukey and I had managed to top the next two rounds, meaning we were part of the eight pairs who would then be sequestered to the final four. Apparently, the next three events were happening in these two weeks, at pukey’s place. Odd, but that’s how it was. Apparently they all gather and it’s a massive thing, every year there are three events held at pukey’s dad’s place in the second week of the holidays. As we get in the car I sense that pukey is feeling my nervousness. “It’s going to be alright, they already love you.” he tries to reassure me.

“How can you know that, they haven’t met me yet.”

“I’ve told them all about you.” he replies, which makes me more worried as opposed to less worried.

“You see me through rose tinted glasses.”

“Do not. Don’t flatter yourself so.” he jokes, nudging me slightly.

“Hmmm.” I reply, unsure of whether I’ll be able to make a good impression or not. Pukey takes my hand and squeezes it gently. “How about you get some sleep and I’ll wake you when we’re nearly there?” he suggests, and I nod, leaning on his chest as he puts his arm around me and dozing off.

   I feel someone gently waking me, causing me to jolt up right. “What’s wrong?” I ask, my senses tingling. I hear pukey chuckling, which is when I remember we’re in his car, on the way to his house. “We’re here.” he replies, smiling at me. I nod, stretching. “I look like a mess, don’t I?” I ask him, holding my hand out for the pocket mirror I know he has. He shakes his head and hands it to me. “You look fine.” he lies, as I straighten my hair and pull out some lipgloss (I’d been getting lessons from Tam). “Ready to alienate myself from your family now.” I tell him, handing him his pocket mirror and opening the door. “You won’t alienate yourself from them.” he tries to encourage me, sounding a lot more confident than I feel.

“Uh huh, do I have to remind you that when we first met you couldn’t stand me, nor I you?”

“Oh, I thought we had a very obvious love hate relationship.” he jests, grinning at me as I swot him.

“You’re so stupid.” I tell him to which he shrugs.

“If I’m so stupid, why are you with me?” he asks.

“That, is a very good question.” I hear a new voice issuing from behind us. Pukey’s face goes sour as he hears this, and I assume this is his brother. Pukey is not very fond of him, avoiding all possible conversations that could lead to his brother. Turning around, with a smile on my face, I extend my hand forward. His brother – Lewis I think – takes my hand and kisses it. I smile, feeling very awkward as Lewis studies me. Pukey clears his throat, grabs my hand and leads me towards the door. I hear his brother chuckling from behind us.

“You know he was just looking for a reaction?” I ask pukey.

“Well he got one.” he replies, opening the door.

   As we walk into his house I try to take it all in. This house may as well be the school, it’s big enough. What’s with that? I knew his parents were well off, but damn I didn’t think anyone had this much money. I find myself wondering about HQ and the mission. I haven’t had any contact with them ever since Harry called me. It’s been pretty much radio silence. “Luke!” I hear a feminine voice calling. I glance up to see a woman in her mid forties approaching us. Her blonde hair, cut to her shoulders bobs around as she walks towards us with a warm smile. I release pukey’s hand as he strides towards her. Unsure of what to do with myself, I hang back, clasping my hands together. I’ve never felt this nervous. I fixate my gaze at the floor, hoping that I don’t somehow mess this up. “So this is the famous Cassie?” I hear his mother asking me.

“Um, it’s Sandra.” I reply, unsure of whether I should extend my hand or walk forward first or go for a hug. Thankfully, his mother steps forward and embraces me, solving that problem. “Well it’s nice to finally meet you Sandra, Luke talks about you non-stop and I-“ she starts saying, but pukey cuts her off by clearing his throat very loudly. I smile at her as she breaks the hug and gives my arm a little squeeze. Something passes over her face as she looks at me, but her expression remains the same. “I’m sure Luke will show you up to your room.” she says, as I go to grab my suitcase. Pukey, however, steps in with a massive smile on his face.

“Let me get that.” he offers, taking the bags from me before I can protest. Shaking my head I follow him up the stairs, wondering whether ‘your room’ meant me personally, or pukey’s room.

AN: I know it's a little short, but the next part should be longer! This story is reaching the end, just a few more parts!