Chapter Eight

I am left standing there baffled. I never had a Sunday off to do anything. This is gonna take a lot more getting used to than I thought. I'm not used to this special treatment. I've only been doing this job for a week and so far, I joined a wedding instead of watching from a window. And now I get a whole day to do whatever.

"Wow Izzy, my dad actually likes you." Brandon says to me.

I look beside me, but only see Brandon still standing here with me. Jayden has disappeared.

"He does?" I ask and watch him nod his head. "He's completely different than what I thought."

He chuckles. "Didn't I tell you before he's not that bad. Once you get to know him, he'll do a lot for ya."

"I'm not used to all this B." I shrug.

"Hey, you better get used to it and enjoy yourself. Oh and uh," he leans down to whisper. "I heard theres an open bar tonight." He winks.

I laugh which makes me relax a little. Brandon has always had that effect on me. It's easy to relax around him.

"There's no way I'm getting drunk at a strangers wedding." I cross my arms and watch the last few guest leave to where the food tables are.

He shakes his head. "Suit yourself. More for me then." He jokes and heads to join everyone else.

Getting drunk is just something I haven't done since high school. It was a dumb party I regret going to. That was the night I lost my innocence to a drunk high school soccer player. The following morning afterwards, I remember waking up naked, and in the embrace of another naked body.

I remember puking that morning wasn't just because of the alcohol I drank the night before. At least that guy was smart enough to use protection, or my life would have been a lot worse. Not that having a child would be a disaster, it's just my life back then wasn't suitable to raise a kid. Especially from a one night stand.

I cover my face with my hands to force myself to erase those memories, once again.

"Isabelle, right?" Someone says my name.

I uncover my face and see Bills friend John, the man I met earlier today.

"Yes sir." I plaster a smile.

He steps over closer. "Stop that name calling. It makes me feel old." He chuckles.

"I'm sorry, it's just curtesy. Especially to a 30 year old like yourself." I joke, trying to ease my mind.

His eyes widen with amusement. "That's nice of you to assume that. I wish I was 30 again." He laughs.

I smile and nod, not knowing what else to say.

"Is everything okay? You seemed kinda, stressed a minute ago." He asks gently.

"Yea. I'm fine. It's been a busy week." It's not fully a lie.

Music causes us both to turn towards the wedding party.

The couple is sharing their first dance as husband and wife. The sun is setting so the lights above them hanging from the trees, flicker and sparkle. It's truly romantic.