Chapter 3: Ambush

Ailith joined me shortly after, having heard of the incident. She hugged me tightly, while I cried on the girls' fate and worried about my own. Why was God allowing this to happen? Shouldn't he protect us, Christians, against the pagans?

I couldn't believe that my father would let him take me back to his country, as his slave. I was a lady and his only daughter. Even if I had little chance of finding a husband, surely I deserved better? Although he might want to show exemplarity: if their thane was willing to sacrifice his own flesh and blood, the villagers would couldn't refuse. It was for the greater good, a few lives lost to save many.

The Viking would be disappointed: I would make a terrible slave. I couldn't cook or clean to save my life. My ancillary skills were limited to spinning, weaving and embroidering. Unless he needed new clothes, I would be of little use to him.

Slightly comforted at the idea, I shared my thoughts with Ailith. Her reaction was unexpected: she looked at me with pity, shaking her head in disbelief. Suddenly, I was anxious.

"What? Did I say something wrong?"

She hesitated, and then spoke her mind.

"This is not what will be expected of you, my Lady. Don't you see? He wants pretty maidens, and you will be one of them. They will reach a good price because men will lust for them. Your skills mean little to him, as your main task will be to warm his bed."

My eyes widened at her words. This couldn't be! I felt sick just imagining him close, but his hands on me... I could never go through that. If it came to it, I would rather die.

Ailith attempted to comfort me:

"I am confident that your father and brother would never accept that, they love you far too much."

I nodded vigorously. She was right, I was wasting my time worrying. They would find another way.

Seeing me calm down, she left me to return to her husband.

A good couple of hours had passed already since the incident, and no one had come for me. That was probably a good sign. I started to relax, when someone knocked at the door.

Warily, I opened. There stood a young girl from the village, her cheeks covered in tears.

"My Lady," she managed between sobs, "Rowena had an accident, she might not last the night. She is asking for you."

Rowena was the woman who raised me after my mother's death. She was very dear to my heart. When I reached adulthood, she went back to her husband's farm, a short distance from the village.

"I'll go at once. Are the Vikings still there?"

I had to cross the village, and I didn't want them to see me.

"They just left. They are so mean, they took my sister!"

"I'm so sorry!"

I wiped her eyes and hugged her, feeling guilty. Maybe if I had behaved differently her sister would have been safe.

"Thank you my Lady. I must return to my parents, they are very upset."

She ran away and I rushed to my chest, pulling out a simple linen smock and a light woolen dress. I changed quickly, braided my hair and threw a few toiletries in my satchel. I didn't know when I would be back.

My mare was already saddled, and a mounted guard held her reins with his.

"Greetings my Lady. I have to go with you, on your father's orders."

I nodded. There was little light left before dusk. It wasn't far, yet the roads were dangerous. Robbers and war-bands roamed the country. My father guessed I would abide by Rowena's will and he had meant to save me precious time.

"He is always so kind to me. Let's go then!"

I jumped on my horse. My bow and arrows were tied up on the side, and I blessed the stable hand for it. They were gifted to me on my twelfth birthday, and I was quite adept at using them, mostly to hunt with my brothers. The bow came from a far eastern land and had a double curved shape. It was smaller and very different than the ones our men used, requiring less strength to pull. I felt safer with it.

We passed the gates and the bridge, and soon left the main road for the trail leading to the farm, across the woods. It was darker there, the leaves blocked most of the sunlight. A few rays shone through, attracting insects and giving the neighboring scenery an eerie glow.

We were only half-way when we were ambushed. A dozen men jumped out of the shrubs, encircling us. To my utter surprise, my companion immediately turned and galloped away. Wasn't he bound to protect me? I tried to follow him, but they closed their circle, locking me in. Why did they let him go? I was left on my own, surrounded by foreign warriors.

Terrified, I pushed my mare against them; they spooked her back.

"Why don't you surrender? You can't escape."

I recognized the voice. It was him, that Viking. His helmet covered his nose and lower jaw, but I knew that frame. Anger flood me, erasing my fear. I wouldn't let that despicable man capture me so easily.

"What are you doing? I have somewhere to go," I answered drawing my bow.

If he thought I was a defenseless female, he was sorely mistaken.

"If you let that arrow loose, your village will burn," he uttered dryly.

I stiffened. He would do as he said, I could sense it. He wasn't one to make empty threats.

I hesitated, and lowered my weapon, defeated. My mare was held while I was pulled down. My feet and hands were swiftly tied up and the chief threw me over his shoulder. I watched them take my satchel and weapon before they slapped the animal's rump, sending her back to the village.

I didn't beg or struggle while he carried me to his ship. It was useless. My fate was sealed.