Chapter 26: Boathouse

I mulled over this as I lay on the wide bench in the women’s room, unable to find sleep. The fur under me provided little padding and the hard wood pressed uncomfortably against my bones. For the vast majority of my life I had enjoyed the comfort of a bed and never regarded it as a privilege. But slaves weren’t that lucky; at least I was off the ground, in a heated room. I was grateful for it.

Again my stubborn mind presented me with images of Lord Einarr in various states of undress. I shook my head, willing the flow to stop. I tried focusing on my family, my village, Mildred and Svana. In vain. The pictures kept coming. What was wrong with me?

He was handsome, I had to give him that. Attractive even. I wondered how he got those scars. I had averted my gaze from his front until this day, as when his upper body was uncovered, so were his lower parts. I hadn’t lost all decency. God he was strong! No wonder I had found his chest so comfortable…

I nearly screamed in frustration and turned to my side, wincing when my still sore ribs hit the unyielding bench. The door of Lord Einarr’s room opened and Hrefna slipped out, ostentatiously straightening her dress. She noticed my glare and smirked at me, sashaying her way to the hall. I ignored her. I knew what she had been doing. Mildred had told me. And Lord Einarr wasn’t interested in Hrefna. Before.

I turned around, not liking the idea. What if he had changed his mind? Maybe he got second thoughts? She looked triumphant. Did she succeed in seducing him? My fists clenched as I considered the possibility. Nay he wouldn’t, wouldn’t he? I chastised myself for getting upset. Why did I care? She could have him, I didn’t want him. And he hated me.

My eyes filled with tears. He hated me. His smile earlier, he was mocking me. I had heard his laugh. He was making fun of me for ogling him. Which I wasn’t, of course. I was only... curious. That was it. I was curious. The patterns drawn by the water had attracted my gaze. Not him. Never him.

Rubbing my eyes, I pulled the blanket to my chin and was fast asleep.

The gruel was warm and bland, a sharp contrast to the slice of ginger I had just swallowed. I wolfed it down. I had little appetite these days, the residual nausea from my illness lingering longer than expected. Slave food was a far call from what I was used to. I had to scrap bits of dry meat from the bones and chew on the hardest parts of cawels (cabbage), neeps (turnips) and parsnips. Only when there was soup or stew did we eat as well as free men. Breakfast was often the sole real meal of my day.

My hands clenched on my stomach, which was already rebelling. I took deep breaths, waiting for the ginger to take effect. Eventually it settled and I went to wash my bowl.

I was drying my hands on my skirt when Svana caught my elbow.

“Are you ready? I want to go now, I’ll give you a tour of the boathouses while the men prepare the ships.”

I smiled at her enthusiasm. Svana was so bubbly that it was hard resisting her. I ran my fingers through my hair, trying to arrange my curls. I winced as I did every time, as I noticed how short and unruly they were. Hrefna had purposely done a botched job, cutting each strand at a different length. They fell on my forehead and into my eyes, and I had to hold them in place with a strip of cloth. While I mourned my long mane, it didn’t affect me much. It would grow back. I had far more urgent concerns.

I grabbed my cloak and followed her on the path, offering my face to the bright sun. It wouldn’t last, there were dark clouds on the horizon. We climbed over a small hill, stopping at the summit. From there I could see the cove where the longships were beached, the men working on them, and two long buildings. One of them was smaller and sported a dragonhead at the prow. I didn’t recognize her; it must have been the ship used to transport my kinswomen. Further down the fjord was the mouth of a river, surrounded by marshlands. The road to the trading place, were the maiden had been sold. I imagined their fear as they awaited their fate. At least I had known whom I would belong to. I muttered a prayer for their well-being.