Chapter 43: Handfast

Mildred and Svana were buzzing around me as bees with their queen, relentless in their will to make me look my best. They bathed me, painted my face, brushed my hair, rubbed scented oils into my skin and tied me into my dress. My hands glided on the green silk, marveling at the near forgotten softness of the fabric. Gold embroidered ribbons graced the neckline and hem, and I refused to pin my brooches in it for fear of causing damage. I went so far as to roll the pearl of my necklace between my fingers, checking for any rough surface that could catch the treads. Finding none, I let the girls arrange it on my chest.

It felt strange to wear my old bangles again, as they were foreign to my new life. I had got used to my bare wrists, and they brought me more discomfort than pride. I slipped them on to honor my groom. He should be seen marrying a woman of good status, not a pauper.

When they deemed me ready, Mildred and Svana disappeared, leaving me alone in my room. I looked at the hour candle and breathed. We were on time.

There was a ruckus outside and I wondered if Sigurd Godi had arrived. It was a bad omen if he did, as I wasn't available to welcome him. Not that it mattered; Lady Disaelfr would do it perfectly.

The door opened and Mildred walked in, reverently carrying an object wrapped in linen. She laid it on the bed with infinite care and smiled at me. "Lord Einarr's bridal crown, for you."

She spread out the cloth and lifted its content into sight. I stared at it, mouth agape. It was a crown indeed, made of solid gold, a colored gem embedded in each of five points adorning the front. The carvings must have been the work of a very skilled goldsmith, for they seemed to swirl in the candlelight. Never had I seen anything so magnificent.

Mildred's giggle shook me out of wonderment. "It is quite unique, isn't it, fit for a queen. Yet again, Lord Einarr is of royal blood..." She fussed with my hair while adjusting it, and took a step back to admire her work. "Here, it is perfect. Lady Disaelfr meant to do it, but she is busy with our guest of honor, and she didn't want to delay the ceremony. I bet she won't be disappointed."

"Are you certain it is secure, Mildred? It has to stay in place all day." I held my head very straight, afraid that if I moved it too fast it would dislodge the antique piece of art. I was considering removing my own jewels as they paled in comparison. The crown was lighter than I thought, the gold stretched thin, which made it fragile. If it fell it could break, and I didn't want to envision Lord Einarr's reaction, were it to happen. I would have to mind every step.

"I braided strands of your hair around it at the back, you'd be bald before it comes off. Lady Disaelfr threatened to boil me alive should any harm come to this!" She winked and I smiled back. Mayhap Lord Einarr told the truth about his mother often making empty threats. Mayhap. Lady Disaelfr could be really frightening. Although Mildred didn't seem very impressed.

"I doubt we have a big enough pot, you should be safe. Is it time? I would hate to be late."

"Nearly. Stay here, I'll come and get you when they are ready."

I didn't have to wait long. Soon, Mildred and Svana returned with a fur lined cloak.

"Are you not nervous, Sunngifu? I would if I were marrying Lord Einarr. You are about to become a wealthy and powerful woman," Svana chatted, arranging the cloak on my shoulders.

I pondered over my answer. "I guess I never saw it this way. I wasn't given a choice in the matter, and I'm rather overwhelmed by the weight of duty that will befall me. I don't know if I'm ready for this, but I'll have to try regardless."

Mildred patted my shoulder. "This is why you will be good for our Lord and this household, Sunngifu. You will not let your position go to your head."

I thanked her, wishing I had her confidence. Suddenly, I dreaded walking out of the room. But it was too late for regrets. I had to do this.

So I stepped out and into my new life as solemnly as I could, Mildred and Svana in tow.

I sashayed around the tables set in the main hall. It was empty aside for the cook, tending his pots with a forlorn gaze. He couldn't watch the ceremony and risk them to burn. I gave him a compassionate smile as I passed by. He had been good to me.

An icy breeze hit me upon reaching the front yard. It had snowed a couple of inches that morning, which accounted for Sigurd Godi's delay. The snow had been swept aside, clearing a path, and layer of straw thrown on it, protecting shoes and clothes from the mud. I followed it to the main square, where a small crowd awaited.

My arrival caused a few murmurs and clapping, and they parted for me. Right ahead was Lord Einarr, dressed in his finery. I had found him handsome before, but there he was something more. Powerful. Regal. As the Aetheling he was.

He stood straight, one hand on the hilt of his sword, the other set on his hip. His legs were slightly parted, his eyes attentive. A commander on a battlefield. A king rendering justice. I could picture him as both.

He saw me and a slow smile spread on his lips. I flushed and looked down. I had been gawking, and he noticed. At least he seemed happy with me.

We were dressed in similar fashion, silk, fur and gold, but his kirtle was red, a manly color. I had a passing thought that blue suited him better. I guess my mind was trying to distract itself from what was happening.

My attention shifted to the man on his right, the place of honor. It had to be Sigurd Godi. I watched him through my eyelashes; I didn't want to be caught staring. He was a sturdy man in his fifth or sixth decade, with muscular arms and a wide belly, a sign of wealth. It proved that he could eat to satiety and had servants to do the hard work. Yet it was clear that he was still a warrior.

My eyes roamed his face, searching for clues. He hadn't seen me and was conversing with a man beside him. He was grinning, perhaps exchanging pleasantries with a friend. No signs of disapproval there. And then he looked at me and frowned, his mouth freezing in a sneer. I paled and lowered my head. When I raised it again he was back to his affable self, and I wondered if I had imagined it.

By then, Lady Disaelfr was in front of me, her back to the altar built for the occasion. As most heathen women, she was a healer, a magician, and most importantly, a priestess of their gods. She would preside over the handfast.

I stopped at Lord Einarr's side, and he bowed to me, whispering as he leaned closer: "You are stunning, the most exquisite bride a man could ever dream..."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. I couldn't see myself, but being heavy with child hardly topped the canons of beauty. I most likely resembled a walking sealion. With a crown. In a green silk dress.

I bit my lip just in time to stop my laugh. Lady Disaelfr was speaking and she wouldn't have tolerated disrespect. Now was not the time to be childish. So I composed myself and feigned interest as she prayed her gods and begged for their blessings.

There was a sacrifice, a sow that squealed and struggled as it died. Lord Einarr and I exchanged vows and rings, our hands were tied with a ribbon, and Lady Disaelfr pretended to spray blood on us. I had heard about that, and was glad she decided to spare our precious garbs. Blood stains are notably hard to wash.

I cared little for the ritual. These gods were not mine. Instead I silently prayed Christ to bless my marriage and give us healthy children, until I was startled by Lord Einarr's kiss. "You are now my wife, Sunngifu, are you happy?"

Taken unaware, I couldn't lie. "I don't know yet, my Lord, this is so new. I am still trying to come to term with it."

He took my hand and squeezed it. "Then I will help you. And no more 'Lord', it is 'husband' or Einarr' now. Stay with me while they run..."

Men and women were separating, laughing and screaming in excitement, the two groups taunting each other. Lord Einarr raised his arm, and brought it down with a guttural cry. They rushed towards the house, competing in good humor. Lord Einarr's guffaw resounded when a girl reached the door ahead of everyone. It was Svana, and she threw her hands in the air in victory. The women cheered and hugged her, the men grumbled and complained, and I pondered why until my husband bellowed: "There are no grounds for protest, you lost fair and square. According to the rule, the natural order will be reversed. You will serve the women tonight."

I erupted in laughter at their chafed faces. This was going to be a feast to remember.