Chapter 1: Unwelcome Guests

I left the enclosure surrounding the family dwellings and crossed the village to climb on the wall, dirtying my hands and dress in the process. The old ladder was filthy from use, yet still sturdy enough for my maid to follow suit, huffing and puffing. I offered her my help, but she refused it, dragging herself to the summit. I shrugged and enjoyed the view, pushing a rebellious strand of hair behind my ear.

The old rampart was crumbling in places, the lack of arms due to the wars having prevented proper repairs. Our village was not important enough to have a stone frontage on it, as did most towns. The huge mass of earth, planted with long stakes at the top, was slowly slipping through the outside layer of planks, progressively filling the ditch. Although still high and impressive, it wouldn't protect us long against determined invaders.

A small space between two poles allowed me to admire the sea, glittering in the warm rays of the September sun. I stayed there a while, watching the fishermen haul their nets on the boats, until Ailith pulled on my sleeve.

"May I have a glance my Lady? Don't I deserve a reward for climbing up here in my current condition?" she pouted, rubbing her rounded belly.

I smiled at her, with a touch of envy. She was more a friend than a servant to me, we had been raised together. Despite being a year younger, she behaved like a grown woman from a young age, and had married our blacksmith the year past. Now she was expecting her first child, when I wasn't even betrothed, at the late age of six and ten.

Sighing, I surrendered my place to her and turned towards the village. It wasn't my fault or my father's if I had not secured a husband. Being noble, I could only wed a nobleman, and the ranks of potential suitors had been greatly depleted in the recent battles. There were far more potential brides than grooms, and the choice was often based on the size of the dowry. In our present predicament, mine was non-existent.

Some men might have overlooked that, if they were wealthy enough and the bride was a beauty, yet I only qualified for pretty. My dark red hair with its wild curls and my common brown eyes were no match for the fair ladies of the Royal Court.

The idea saddened me; I loved my father dearly, and wished to bring him honor. To shake the thought, I stared at the houses below me, taking pride in putting a name on each of them. I could be reckless sometimes, but I cared for my people. I inhaled the mixed scents of smoke, algae and animal dung deeply. It doesn't sound pleasant, yet to me it smelled like home.

A gasp from Ailith alerted me.

"Is there something wrong? Is it the baby?"

She turned her pallid face towards me. She seemed in pain.

"Do you need help? I can fetch your husband..."

I felt guilty for getting her there. What if it had caused her harm?

She shook her head, eventually finding her voice.

"Vikings, they will be there shortly. The longships are entering the bay."

We rushed back home and I burst into the Hall to warn my father. He needed time to get ready. He hoped to convince them to wait another year. To mellow them, he wanted to offer an honorific reception and banquet. I had doubts, yet I did my best to hide them. Pirates were just that, greedy brutes. Why would they show us any mercy? Still, I woved to do my best to help.

I stopped by the kitchens to give orders to the cooks, then asked the servants for a bath and to have more hot water at hand. I had heard that heathens enjoyed bathing, they might appreciate the attention after days at sea.

Norsemen had a reputation for loving ladies. If I made myself as attractive as I could, maybe their chief would be inclined to grant me a favor?

It was very foolish, I was young and innocent in those times, and had little knowledge of men. I thought I could get him to listen to me, unaware that I was playing with fire.