Chapter 48: Race for Life

I hope you'll think I deserve your votes, comments and follows for all these new chapters and the subsequent lack of sleep! Enjoy!

By the time it took Svana to grab her cloak, water for the trip and a bag of medical supplies, I had saddled our horses. I needed a stool and her help to get on my mare, but once installed I was comfortable enough.

We wasted no time getting out and trotted away, without anyone noticing us. Lady Disaelfr must have held every one in, preparing the defence of the house. I trusted her with it, she had been in charge for longer than I had lived. As for me, my place was at my husband's side.

The sun was out, as it had been for the past few days. The ground was dry and we made good progress. The down side of this being that the men must have too.

As soon as the path widened we pushed our mounts, our cloaks floating in the wind. We must have appeared as Valkyries to the onlookers, two women galloping towards the battlefield. But unlike those female warriors, we would arrive before our warriors relinquished their souls. Hopefully.

We had to slow down as we passed the sharp bend before the trading post, as the road narrowed dangerously. The cascades crossing it were roaring from the thaw, and the rocks were as slippery as I remembered. My mare's front foot slipped, jerking me. A jolt of pain crossed my beck, but neither of us fell and we made it safely to the bottom.

I stared at the river in anguish. We had to cross it on a flimsy bridge, a few planks hastily put together after the Jökulhaup. It didn't seem strong enough to support us, and the current underneath was strong. I paled and nearly balked. If I fell I would drown, my child would never be born and Einarr would die.

"What is wrong, Sunngifu? We have to go, come!"

I shivered. "This thing will never support our weight, it will break."

She laughed at me. "Nay, it won't. Our men crossed it a few hours back, is that proof enough? If you can't do it, I'll go alone."

I stiffened. I wouldn't renounce. I was no coward. "What I you waiting for? Let's go."

I kicked my horse gently forward, letting her decide where she could step. She wasn't quite as impressed as I was and we were on the other side in no time. Svana wasn't far behind.

"The path is clear up to the short cut. Hold tight in the saddle, Sunngifu." She whistled and our mounts picked up speed, going at this incredible fast gait I had experienced before. It was smooth, more so than walking, yet my back didn't seem happier. If anything, if hurt more. But it was bearable, and stopping wasn't an option.

I was glad when we slowed down, upon reaching the foot of a steep climbing track. Our piece of the coast resembled a dragon foot, each claw a mountainous ridge planted at the edge of the sea. The main road curled around the claws, adding a lot of length to the trip. Svana's plan was to climb over the ridge at its lower part, allowing us to catch up by considerably reducing the distance to the ambush point. I silently prayed that it would be enough.

Our mounts valiantly attacked the rocky trail, their feet sure and precise. I tried not to glance back. I couldn't afford to hesitate again. Svana led, easily finding her way. I could tell she had been there many times, and it comforted me.

As we reached the summit, she helped me dismount. "There are no trees and the rocks won't hide our horses. We will tie them here and see what is awaiting us below. There might be scouts. If Sigurd's men see us, we will be doomed."