Deep In The Shadows {Legolas Fanfiction}

The campfire flickered in the shadows of the night. It burned a most beautiful orange against the wood beneath it as it turned to black ash. The dark of night was pierced by the flame, big and bright. They were all in the woods outside a cave of by the Misty Mountains. The stars shined brightly amongst them. The company was all present, except for Narylfiel; But that went unnoticed to everyone as they had grown accustomed to the Princess disappearances. Except Daermaethor. His rebellious little sister did as she pleased. A fiery spirit like a wolf without a master. For as long as he could remember, she was always free-spirited as she rampaged the kingdom without oversight. There were many fond memories of his childhood that remain lost to the world.

There was a deep eerie silence that hung in the air, but there were light whispers that came from the travellers. The talks between them were hushed and secretive in the shadows of the forest. Their hushed tones were to prevent any encounter with the creatures of night. It is still a dangerous times for the realm. Talk comes about dark forces gathering force to overwhelm the light.

Daermaethor sat by the edge of the camp. He was twirling his blade in his hands as he pondered in silence. He missed the beautiful blonde-haired maiden Alerathla. Months have tethered by as she has disappeared and not returned to camp. A very sad thought for Daermaethor. His heart belonged strongly to her. Almost all of the women in his life are always at arms length or further. Never able to be touched and loved. He rested his head against a tree as he looked around the camp. His eyes landed on his most trustful companion.

Nethraunien talked silently with Tauriel in the cover of the caves. They sat closely with their knees touching and backs to the fire. His eyes shone with adoration to the lovely red-headed elfling. She was a sight to the eyes. Although she was one of the most stunning Sylvian elves he had ever met. Daermaethor could fathom what was going through his friend's mind. He felt Nethraunien's pain about companionship as they both longed to love. As a man and warrior, always on the road can get lonely. Nethraunien only wanted to love the woman who his heart would be open to. For a long time his heart belonged to his sister. But his sister rejected the man. Narylfiel fails to let any being to conquer her tormented heart. All Neth had was them, and all Daer had was his sister and the warriors. They were all family. They been through enough.

As they talked, Daermaethor's eyes turned to study his other companions around the campfire. Falathiel and Taristan were standing by the trees, their hands bound together. Their foreheads were touching and eyes were closed. Alas, the mortals found comfort within each other. A small victory for these dark times. They are but a testament from the darkness they have endured. It was about time these two considered engaging a relationship beyond the experience of their travels.

A small smile came to Daermaethor's face. Happiness was scarce in his soul but he found comfort in moments like this. They have become the small family he gained from all the loss. How he missed his dear Mother... This group recreated a warmth Daermaethor had not felt since he lost everything. The pain in his heart still remains as if he carried the world on his shoulders. But... he has to carry a very painful secret from everyone since the tragedy of Elessgar.

As he continued to look, his eyes settled on the Prince of Mirkwood. Something about the prince made Daermaethor feel overly protective of his sister. Daermaethor could not help but study the young Elven-prince. Legolas had been to smitten with his sister. His sea-blue eyes would radiate when the Princess came about the group.

But as for Legolas, his mind was troubled. Legolas was silent as he watched the forest lines from his spot in the cave. He paid very little attention to the rest of their companions as he could only think of this beautiful black-haired Princess. You could tell he wanted to frown. Something bothered him as he was deep in thought. Narylfiel's warning rang in his head. Ugh, how he wanted it to stop! There was something about Narylfiel that felt different. She was cold and merciless but she was also..kind? She was such a compelling maiden.