Chapter Xll

Nethraunien

What just happened?

All he could do was mentally scold himself for how foolish he felt to enter Narylfiel's tent. He gave in too easily to temptation and give himself away with his emotions. But he could not resist the temptation to touch her sweet skin. His heart strangely longed to see what kept the lady from being alive. Not that she was dead, but she carried herself as an empty shell. It is not common to see in elves such worry especially ones that have lived as long as her.

Nethranunien could see such a beauty she kept locked from the world. Her long black hair, soft and sharp. Black piercing eyes that can pierce anything to pieces. Lips so pink yet they never seemed to want to show what smile they can create. Cheekbones as red as cherries.

He badly wished he could exchange a longer kiss with her, feel her warmth and kindness . If only the kiss was not too sudden he would have become weakened against her presence. The true Princess was there and present tonight during that kiss, although she was torn between her alter. Narylfiel was too beautiful beyond explanation. Ah, Elros.. if only times were different and the earth was cleansed of evil. Nethraunien would have claimed her hand in marriage if suited perfectly. Nethranunien had a complicated bloodline and very old. He was one of the very few and last descendants of the Númenorians that managed to survive quietly in the villages and in the wild.

His family was a few and almost ending. For as long as he's lived (mind you, he's possibly about in his 70s...and still as sharp looking as ever) he has not found a maiden suitable for his bloodline. He desires neither throne nor revels. He wants to pass the tradition from his mother to his children and so forth until that blood has spent.

He sighed as he strolled very quietly in the early hours of the morning, deep in thought. Many images ran through his mind of all the possibilities. The response that Narylfiel gave him was expected but one can hope. He was taken aback by her sudden impulsivity. Her touch was like electricity for him. Her hands made him feel alive again. Her moment of weakness might have given him some small hope but it also drained it. He had hoped to achieve a connection with her, but so long both parties continued as planned there would be no worry. He would continue to pledge his sword to the Prince and Princess whom saved his life from never ending slavery and torture. He owes his life to them and he will honor it for as long as he could remember.

The sky was lit with few stars, and the bright fire lanterns of the she-shifters around the camp. The flame never once flickered or swayed against the breeze. Where ever they were trapped, some enchantment is truly keeping a whole world away from everyone. Much like Hobbits and their lands.

A small smile came to his lips as he thought about the lands of Bree and the Shire but it would not reach his eyes. He felt torn.

"I didn't expect to see any of you up so early."

On instinct, he motioned for his dagger and whipped it around to the assailant that sneaked up on him. Only to see an orange headed female with an amused smiling at him. She was slightly shorter and slender than him but remarkable for a woman of her kind.

"My lady, pardon me if I just committed an offense but one can not be too careful.." He cleared his throat and bowed his head. He put his dagger away and straightened himself out.

Nyrali replied, "Yes, you did but you are not tribe and the circumstances are forgiving." Her eyes beamed at his forth coming respectfulness. Such a rare sight to see from a man. But he was not ordinary, obviously.

"I believe that would be a first for you to be forgiving considering the nature of circumstances." He replied back with an eyebrow raised.

Nyrali smirked and clicked her tongue, "I see all of you are rather quick in every way especially with your words." It was a great observation that the she-shifter made and very true. As hunters and warriors they are agile and quick. Necessary and pertinent for their lifetime quest to help the Princess' mission.

Nyrali inhaled and continued, "But nonetheless yes I'm not very forgiving. We are creatures of the forest and night. Such law is in order in our nature as well to be merciless." She smiled as her eyes held a mysterious look,"I take it you went to visit Lady Darkwood in her tent?"

How observant.

He kept a straight face before responding, "Only to check up on her as her and Lord Daermaethor are our leaders. They rarely rest."

"I can tell from the She-elf that she is a creature of the night same us." She hummed lightly.

"If I May ask your majesty, how long have you and your people.." He trailed off slowly looking around the encampment realizing it's bigger than expected, "well your civilization have been around for?"

"I can answer your questions if you walk with me around all the borders as the Sun rises and I can tell you our long fascinating tale."

It wasn't a suggestion. It was more of a command that did not bother Nethranunien. He has not slept well, and why bother! It's early and he is up with Queen Nyrali. He was on guard for his fellow members. The Queen felt trustworthy and understandable but his loyalty remains in tact. He is a skilled spy and hunter. Nethraunien will always do what he must for safety.

He bowed his head, "It would be an honor for my ears to bear witness of the glories of your people. Though I must admit, I have heard many stories and tales of wonderful creatures of the forest but never of your people." He turned on his heel and stood by her side as they slowly strolled into the dawn.

She gave him a small chuckle, "Quite the resourceful hunter I see." She studied him closely, her eyes gazing every feature of his face. A quiet rumble came from her chest, "Númenorian, I presume Mr..?"

His step faltered for a second but he quickly gathered his composure, "Please, call me Nethraunien Azruzôr, Queen Nyrali." He held a surprised look in his eye as he bowed his head in respect.

She nodded her head in respect, "The honor is mine, son of the Sea." There was a look in her eye that he could not place before she continued on. How could she know about his lineage  and heritage more than any of his mother companions? A strange thing that left him wondering.

"Our ancestors were once human. We still are, technically speaking. Early settlers of this land in the north. We were humble and thriving in the early ages. But as good things last... the darkness begins."

His reaction was one for shock as it was not expected that the origins of such creature were so close to home. He, a man, a human has very distant relations to these people. His eyes wandered over Nyrali. She radiated such beauty and power. Power and control. Very intimating for such a small woman. But he did not feel attraction to this women as he did for Narylfiel.

"Orcs as always, filthy vine creatures sacking and pillaging. But before they were orcs, there were weak men and elves, any corrupted spirited creature of Middle Earth had fallen under such dark spells who could at will turn into such a creature. We began losing many men at the seduction of such dark power. Dark promises that entered the dreams of the men and turned their backs.

Our great Priestess, Viersa called upon the women of the tribe to take arms. Although scared we had been losing our husbands, our fathers and our sons. We needed to stop this nightmare. We would protect our children and what men were left against the forces of the evil night but it wasn't enough.

Soon Viersa asked to sacrifice the blood of 6 women under the Red Moon. The sacred Red Moon of our people was not be taken lightly as this ritual would forever change our path forever. The ritual would require not just blood but our souls. This curse would make us to be versatile and agile against these creatures of evil.
We all agreed and gathered for the ceremony."

To be told some other time....