Chapter 34: Bionic Commando

Monsters.

Ever since I was little, I knew the world was filled with them. From the bogeyman in my childhood days, to the giant lizards that terrorized the big screen when I was growing up, monsters were something that every child accepted.

But as one grew up, one learned not to fear the dark anymore. Just as the little nagging fears go away over time, like little will o’ the wisps of one’s consciousness as one grows up, the unknown ceases to be frightening.

But such was not the case for me.

As I grew up, I learned that monsters were very real. From the personal demons that haunted me when my father passed away, to the giants of the corporate engine that I faced as a young girl. Yes, I knew far too well that monsters were all too real. And yet, despite all this, nothing could have prepared me for the monsters I have faced in the last few days. Everything from Death, vampires, an arch-demon, a crazy katana-wielding samurai lady, and my own dear father.

And now, this most recent development.

The massive nano-knight hovered over the city of Chicago like a harbinger of death.

It was terrifying to behold: clad in black from head to foot, it was made of the exact same material as the amazing nano-suits worn by Rina and my father. The armor appeared smooth and metallic, the rays of the sun glinting off the metal monstrosity that stood against the sky, an enormous edifice that acted as a testament to my father’s brilliant but flawed legacy.

The knight’s head was fearsome – it looked similar to my father’s helmet, with a round, smooth helm, a sharp comb running along the middle of its head like a mohawk, a black visor protecting its ‘eyes’, if such a thing even had them. An enormous breastplate rested squarely underneath impressive looking spiked pauldrons – both offensive and defensive in nature. On the knight’s left hand it bore a large rectangular shield, and on the right, the same massive broadsword that my father used, only this time, it was several orders of magnitude larger.

I could see the people below us staring in horror at the behemoth that stood before them. Screams erupted in the city below as panic and mass hysteria spread over the city. The knight had barely even begun to move and already traffic had built to a standstill below us. Many were abandoning their cars and going on foot, running helter-skelter in several directions – as far away as they possibly could from the threat.  

The knight lowered itself to the ground, making a thunderous sound as its feet connected with the ground. The earth shook, though I felt it not. I could feel the enormous presence as it touched the ground.

Then, just like that, knight began to move, slowly, certainly, toward the Hunter Robotics building. Already it had begun to cause damage to the ground - concrete broke with each stride, as the knight stepped over everything in its path without remorse. Cars, trucks, people - everything that had the misfortune of being underneath the massive feet got crushed.

It walked slowly at first, but then gradually it began to build speed. For such a large thing, it moved very quickly.

Think! Vanessa!

“Oh your feet, Cherie,” said Death. “Spread those wings and look alive! This thing needs to be stopped. Right now.”

“Thanks for the update, Captain Obvious,” I said. “But I don’t suppose you’ve got a plan now, do you?”

“We lead it to water?” asked Death.

I shrugged. “It’s a good start. I think we might be able to make that work.”