Chapter 33: The Chosen's chosen

It didn’t take me long, once I had realized what was right for me, to make the choice. After all, the very thing had been staring me in the face all this time. I ran from it initially, afraid of my own inner feelings on the matter. And yet, now that I had made the choice, I felt oddly relieved.

The one thing that always bothered me about the whole affair was my tendency to look back on the past. There were two men I had loved for as long as I can remember, but both of them admittedly, belonged in my past. There was only one person for whom the present and future belonged, the only one with whom I could move forward with.

I didn’t say the words, mostly because they were unnecessary at this point.

My sisters smiled.

“Very well Vanessa. The choice has been made, and we will abide by it. We shall stand by you and honor your choice.”

I felt the power surge within me, as the Van Dyke magic coursed through my body, much differentin concept, from the gifts that Death had given me. The power rejuvenated me, the pain I felt in both mind, heart and body were gone. It wasn’t just the power, however.

The choice had been made, and I was no longer in conflict with my inner self. I felt a sudden peace within. My past, present and future were now unified, and I knew exactly what I needed to do to move forward.

I found myself staring once again at Donovan Hunter’s imposing visage. Strangely enough, the fear and the doubt was gone this time.

My wings had healed themselves, and then some: the aquiline wings gave way to a stronger, more powerful variant with a wider wingspan. I flexed the wings as wide as I could, noticing that the old torn ones had been cast away, and these new wings put a powerful wind behind me.

My father stared at me incredulously, as if unable to believe his eyes.

“Yes, Dad. Still, I stand. Despite all the odds against me, despite all of the powers you have at your disposal, I continue to stand before you.”

I attacked with my light sword, not wanting to give my father a chance to retaliate, barreling into him with all my might. He attempted to block my attack with the enormous broadsword, but the effort was futile – the difference in power this time was far too great, and the broadsword flung into the like a weightless toy.

I swung the light sword a second time, and my father responded, foolishly with Katsujinken, the two blades clashed, the force of the life-giving sword was great, and even in in my newfound form, I could feel the sword’s power, but my light sword won out – there was just far too much power in the Van Dyke sword for the life -giving blade to counter. I sent the second sword flying into the air, where it plummeted to the ground down below.

I continued by barrage, my father’s nanomachines, assembling and disassembling in reaction to my fierce offense. But the force of my attack was too much for my father’s  science this time – before the nanomachines could even assemble themselves back, I was already at them a second time. The supreme defense afforded by the nanomachines was beginning to crumble under the powerful and unrelenting offense that was at my disposal.

I put my light sword aside, the sword disappearing into the air as I balled my hands into fists, determined to pummel my father into submission. I sent blow after blow his way, each blow making a deep dent into the nanomachines’ structure.

I’m going to do as much internal damage as I can to these things. Slow down their regenerative capabilities.

This new power surge gave me a natural high – and I knew that this was only the beginning – I refused to stop here. I was going to move in for the kill, putting all my power into this next attack. There would be no pulled punches, my mind was made up, and I only needed to execute.