Chapter 27: Aerial Battle

It took me a few moments to recover from the euphoria of sprouting wings. It sounded awfully cliche, embarrassing even. I mean, how terribly unoriginal is that? A Death Angel sprouting wings.

Still, this was exactly the kind of advantage I had been hoping to gain. I instinctively spread my wings. Like a butterfly emerging from the cocoon of my former self, I welcomed my newfound existence.

“Like learning to ride a bike,” said Death.

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. “You are always so hilarious.”

I didn’t have time to learn. With both adversaries distracted, I put my plan into action. I jumped off the building, taking the gamble, gambling on the fact that my new abilities wouldn’t let me down. 

There was a brief moment of doubt, as I hurtled down headfirst at incredible speed. I was reminded of the time I fell to my death, my mind racing and questions popping in and out of my consciousness. 

And then the wings kicked in.

I breathed a heavy sigh of relief as I felt the muscles behind me flex instinctively, the powerful wings flapped and carried me upward, as I glided in the air.

The wings were white, but not in the angelic, tufted manner that I had imagined my new wings to be. They were smooth in appearance, not really looking like a bird’s wings at all. Curved and aquiline, there was an organic feel to them, like it was someone else’s skin. It wasn’t disgusting, just different.

As I took to the air, I felt the winds whipping around me. It was like being in a 60’s Beechcraft Bonanza plane with the windows rolled down. I could feel the turbulence in the air around me, knew enough about the pockets of air that swirled around me to make the most of my situation. The feeling was exhilarating. That much was true.

But nothing could have ever prepared me for the view of the sweeping Chicago skyline that greeted me as I moved about in the air. The ever-expansive Lake Michigan glistened with an azure hue in the east, the sun’s reflection upon it casting an effusive glow around everything. The sky had very little clouds at this time. It was a glorious summer day. 

Just before the lake, the majestic, Greco-Roman inspired doric columns of Soldier Field rose up and announced its presence in a rather grandiose manner. Soldier field was an iconic football field and home to the Chicago Bears. The newly renovated field with its daring architectural remake was a relatively new addition to the city’s skyline. Like all great cities, Chicago was a wonderfully eclectic blend of old and new, of many cultures and none.The architectural elements were always something that had attracted me to my hometown. 

I forced myself to focus on my objective. I did a second sweep and scanned the Hunter Robotics building, surveying the damage my father had caused. The building had indeed been blown to pieces. I was able to ascertain my worst fear: every single glass window had been shattered, and there was enough structural damage evident to make me realize that if Death and I both lost control over the void, the building would sway in the wind, causing the occupants to slide out of the building into freefall.

Like many of Chicago’s successful magnates, Donovan Hunter had the building built along the Chicago River. It was fashionable of course, for any up and comer to lay claim to their portion of Chicago’s architectural scene. The Hunter Robotics building was a marvel in its day and still was impressive. Though the city today boasted of several internet startups, Hunter Robotics was one of the few technology companies to shun the Silicon Valley and set up shop in the Midwest of all places.

As distracted as I was by all the scenery, I noticed that Death had taken to the skies as well, his black robes fluttering in the wind, his speed blinding.