Family Ties

Elena asks Stefan to escort her to the town's annual Founder's Party. Vicki gets Tyler to ask her to the party, and then accuses him of trying to hide their relationship from his family. Zach reveals a useful family secret to Stefan. At the Party, Damon tells Elena a story about the Salvatore family's past, leaving Elena with questions that Stefan refuses to answer. Finally, Stefan takes action to get Damon out of his life for good.

Elena's house.

Elena wakes up. She hears a noise. She gets out of bed.

Elena: Hello? Jeremy? Hello?

Elena tries to turn on the light, but the power is out.

Logan Fell: This is Logan Fell coming to you live from the streets of Mystic Falls with breaking news of another deadly animal attack. The wild animal terrorizing the citizens of Mystic Falls has claimed another victim, local highschool student Elena Gilbert. Police are certain that forensic evidence will confirm that this is the same animal responsible for recent attacks.

Damon: You know what's coming next.

Elena runs. She opens the front door, sees Damon, and slams it shut. She slowly walks towards the stairs, but Damon grabs her and bites her neck.

Stefan's Bedroom.

Stefan wakes up.

Stefan: Ah!

Damon: Bad dream? Do you know how easy it was to get into your head just now? You really need some human blood. It might even the playing field. Football reference. Too soon.

Stefan throws a knife at Damon, hitting him in the stomach. Damon pulls it out.

Damon: All right, I deserved that. But I just wanted to let you know, they caught the culprit. The animal responsible for killing coach Tanner and all those people.

Stefan: What are you talking about?

Damon: It was a mountain lion. Really big one. It attacked a hunter this morning. It's all over the news. "Deadly beast captured. All's well in Mystic Falls."

Stefan: Why would you cover your tracks?

Damon: I've decided to stay a while. And I'm just having way too much fun here with you and Elena.

Stefan: Can't touch her now.

Damon: Well, the vervain keeps me out of her head. Maybe that's not my target. Believe it or not, Stefan, some girls don't need my persuasion. Some girls just can't resist my good looks, my style and my charm and my unflinching ability to listen to Taylor Swift.

Damon stabs Stefan in the stomach. It clearly hurts Stefan more than it did Damon, for Stefan falls to the floor.

Damon: This is John Varvatos, dude. Dick move.

Stefan removes the knife.

Stefan is writing in his diary.

Sherrif Forbes: I can confirm that a 12-Foot puma mountain lion attacked a hunter and was subsequently shot and killed. The hunter is in stable condition.

Stefan: The real animal is still out there, waiting for me, challenging me to fight back, to stop him. But how do I stop a monster without becoming one myself?