ch. 14

Chapter Fourteen;;- Blast from the Past [part 2/2]

[name] put a hand over her racing heart as soon as she got out of the room. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife in there.

She slouched her shoulders, the weight of what just happened sitting heavily on her back. Much less confidently than she had leaving the classroom, [name] tried to minimize her presence as she trudged down the hallway. Not really sure where she was going, she just went towards the sound of the noise. She would ask someone for directions out there.

Her efforts to go unnoticed didn't work super well, her uniform attracting more eyes than magnets do paperclips. [name] kept her eyes down, only looking up when she noticed she had reached a larger room.

It was a cafeteria. She scanned the room for someone who looked friendly and nonjudgmental, her eyes finally landing on a familiar spike of red hair. She thanked whatever was watching down on her, walking over to Kirishima with a small smile.

"Kirishima-kun," She greeted, waving.

He looked up, surprised to hear her voice. "[surname]-senpai?" He asked, as if he wasn't sure it was her. "What are you doing here?"

"Irrelevant, for the most part," [name] answered quickly, looking over the other first years that were seated with him. A girl with pink skin, two blond boys (one who looked very angry), and a kind of ordinary looking guy. "I was going to ask something else, but now that I've got you in front of me, I was reminded of something." She waited for Kirishima to nod. "Amajiki-kun, has his quirk been normal?"

Kirishima seemed to think on it. "It's been working fine since he got shot, if that's what you mean. He's been trying new things recently, too."

[name] nodded. "I've been feeding him weird stuff lately, I was just wondering if he used it," She said, grinning. "Thanks." She glanced back towards the way she came, looking for Amajiki or Hasegawa to see if they were following her yet. Nothing caught her eye, but she turned back to Kirishima quickly. "I'd love to stay and meet your friends, but, uh, I've got to be going or else I've got more explaining to do than I want to. Care to direct me to the exit?" [name] knew that she was probably acting weird, her personality felt all over the place as her heart beat loudly in her chest, pulse racing in her ears.

"Right..," Kirishima looked confused. "Down that hall for a while, then take a left at the staircase, go down the next set of stairs and the main entrance will be on your right." Concern swam in his red eyes.

"Thanks so much, Kirishima-kun! You're a lifesaver!" She bowed quickly, dashing off in the direction he told her, hearing his friends immediately begin to question him. When she turned her head back, she still didn't see anyone following her. Feeling a little bit better by the lack of chase, [name] slowed down as she got turned left at the stairs.

She let her breathing even out, let her heartbeat quiet down, let her pace slow. When no footsteps could be heard besides her, [name] relaxed, leaving the building with a sigh of relief. Unable to help it any longer, [name]'s knees shook and she collapsed outside the main gate. One hand lay helplessly against the wall, the other laying limply on the ground. She pulled her knees to her thumping chest, shoving her face against her thighs.

[name] struggled to contain all the emotion that was pouring from her chest, holding back tears. It had been three years since she had last seen Hasegawa and to say that she was happy to get rid of him was an understatement. The anxiety he had caused her through middle school was enough to awaken deep feelings that she had buried inside her as soon as she saw him again.

When her chest no longer felt like it was going to explode and the tears no longer welled in her eyes, she lifted her head from her knees. [name] jumped, shocked to see Amajiki standing in front of her, worry etched into his face. "H-How long have you been there?" She asked, standing shakily.

"Not long..." He answered quietly. The conversation didn't continue, neither parties knowing what to say.

[name] stared down at her feet, playing with a piece of gravel that was sitting next to her foot. "I don't want to talk about it yet," She stated simply. Her voice lacked emotion-- rather, it was apathetic.

Amajiki nodded wordlessly. "Are you.. okay..?" He wasn't sure if that was the right word. Who would be okay after that ordeal?

But still, [name] nodded. "I'm fine, really. It's been a long time since Hasegawa-kun..." She stopped. Paused. Started over. "It's been a long time since I went to school with him."

"I-If it helps, [surname]-san... I don't think your dream is stupid..." Amajiki fidgets, playing with his fingers. "I think... y-you're going to achieve it much easier than Hasegawa will achieve his." His cheeks lit up with a blush.

[name]'s eyes, which were previously still directed towards her feet, shot up. The warmth that had been absent since she had heard Hasegawa's voice returned like a flood. She smiled with her whole body-- eyes crinkling closed, tilting her head, and shuffling her feet somewhat bashfully. Her own face flushed. "I..." Words fail her in the moment, and instead she stepped forward. Her arms went around his torso, her face falling onto his chest as she leaned into the hug.

The feeling of her body flush against his made his face blush even darker than he already was, spreading all the way to the very tips of his ears. He could feel her nose against his collarbone, her warmth (was that her quirk, or just part of being human?) seeping into his clothes. He could feel her eyelashes tickling his neck and her breath (just as warm as the rest of her) was soft, but her chest and shoulders rose and fell with each one. She was smiling still, so widely that he could feel the outline of it on his chest. Amajiki wasn't one for casual affection-- hugs weren't something he did often-- but he liked this hug. It felt right-- natural, even.

Almost instinctively, Amajiki snaked his arms around her waist, softly. He held his arms barely a centimeter above her body, as if to respect her personal space and to not offend her. He lowered his head, resting his forehead against her shoulder. He could feel her genuine joy exuding off of her in waves, and he smiled as well, just happy that she wasn't looking so damn hurt anymore.

"Thank you, Tamaki," she whispered. It was muffled by the fabric of his shirt, but he heard her. He wasn't sure if she meant to call him by his first name, but his lack of extreme reaction must have been comforting to her, because she seemed to relax. She bunched her hands into fists, bringing his shirt between her fingers. She clutched his shirt like a lifeline. "Thank you, Tamaki," she repeated.

She liked the way his name felt on her tongue. She liked the way he held her, gently and carefully, respecting her by not assuming she would be fine with his arms around her waist. His head on her shoulder had a nice weight. His hair tickled her neck, but she didn't mind. [name] was used to being warmer than most people, but he was warm, too. She felt comforted. She felt safe.

"You're gonna be such a good hero," [name] murmured. Her heart felt fuzzy, the way you feel when you're young and your parent tucks you into bed, the way you feel when you're having fun with friends and realize that this is going to be a memory you look back on fondly, the way you feel when you're building bonds that could never break.

a/n: whooo boy this got out of hand

this ended up being much more romantic than i meant it to be, however i really like it, so i didn't want to get rid of it. by the reader calling tamaki by his first name, it symbolizes that he is incredibly close to the reader. this is some pretty heavy foreshadowing, i suppose, for the relationship that they will have.

if you're wondering who i base my characters off of: yesterday i accidentally made six dozen cookies lmao