13 | altruistic

13 | altruistic

ANIKA LET OUT a shaky breath and splashed cold water on her face. She wiped her face and looked at her reflection, at least it didn’t look like she had been crying.

She unlocked the door and walked out to find Shivaay sitting on the edge of his bed. At the sound of his footsteps, he looked up and Anika saw how his forehead was creased in worry. He looked shaken and Anika asked him if he was okay. “You alright?”

“Yeah… yeah, I’m fine.” He faked a smile and passed her the coffee mug. Anika didn’t feel convinced that he was okay but she knew better than to ask. Sometimes people want to be left alone rather than someone to intrude. He ran his fingers through his messed up hair and turned his face away, biting his lip.

Anika wrapped her palm around the coffee and took a sip, looking out the window but watching Shivaay from her peripheral vision to make sure he was okay. After a moment it seemed he gathered himself back because he looked at her, “c’mon outside. Everybody’s waiting for you.” He got up and walked to the door.

Anika furrowed her eyebrows as she strolled to the door, “everybody?” she questioned. It seemed like a lot of people and she wasn’t sure if she was ready to meet a whole bunch of people.

Shivaay opened the door, waited till she was outside and then walked out after her. “Did you think Karan and Naina would just abandon you? They’re here.”

As if on cue, Anika heard Naina laughing. A smile broke out on her face and she walked faster until she was met with the sight of Oberoi family and Naina and Karan talking amicably to each other. There was somebody else too, siting there alongside Naina. She didn’t get a chance to think about him because when Karan’s eyes fell on her, he immediately jumped up and was in front of her in a second, hugging her so tightly Anika felt shortage of air for a moment. “Karan, you are choking me.” The said boy let his arms go slack and smiled at her sheepishly.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, though he didn’t even look guilty at all. She smacked his head lightly.

“You don’t even–” She began but was cut off by Naina hugging her. “Woha, there. Easy woman.”

“I am just so happy to see you, Di.” She squealed and Anika pushed her away gently.

“What are you two trying to do today? One of you wants to choke me to my death and the other one is bent upon destroying my ear buds.” All of them chuckled at her comment and Anika flushed, having become their centre of attention. She tucked her hair behind her ear and then gestured to the man–“who’s he?” she whispered.

“Oh, right, I didn’t introduce you to him.” Naina took her hand within hers and led her to the man. “Di, meet Lakshya, the man who is good at stealing hearts.” Anika watched with a genuine smile adorning her lips as Lakshya grinned up at his sister and Naina shook her head with a smile on her face. She was happy because she could see that he made her happy. It reflected in the way she had talked about him.

“Di, good to see you back.” He stood up and only gave her a smile, somehow knowing she wouldn’t be comfortable with him hugging her.

Anika felt the smile on her face grow bigger and bigger as she watched how Lakshya bent down and said something to Naina which made her flush red. She shot Lakshya a smile as he pulled a chair for her and Naina to sit. Naina took her hands in hers and began talking animatedly about a friend who was getting married.

“You should totally see her someday. I bet ya she and you are going to get along well over your love for Pride And Prejudice,” Naina said and Anika found herself lazily grinning at that.