IV

This went on for a few days. Madison would go through a hundred different moods a day, but no matter how much of a bitch she could be and no matter how much she would try to push Zoe away, she would always sneak in her roomate's bed once the lights were off. Zoe would welcome her with open arms and sneak her hands under the blonde's sweater. That was kind of their thing now.

Zoe was getting used to Madison's mood swings. And even though she didn't understand them, she was trying to help her new best friend get through them. She had learned that Madison didn't mean all the hurtful things she said. It was her way to protect herself. The farther the people were to her heart, the less they could hurt her. But despite all of Madison's efforts, Zoe had forced her way through almost all of her barriers and had gotten closer than anyone else, which scared the small witch to no end. But luckily enough, and unlike all the others before her, Zoe seemed to be here to stay. But for how long ? That's probably the only question in the world the blonde was not eager to have a response to.

Everything was slowly falling into place until that Thursday night.

"Hey Mads?" Zoe asked when Madison exited the bathroom wearing a bra and panties. Another thing Zoe had learned about her roomate was that she was really comfortable with her body. She would often walk around the room in nothing but her underwear, sometimes even nothing at all.

"Hmm" Madison hummed for Zoe to continue with what she had to say while she looked for something to wear.

"I wanted to invite Kyle over tonight. Is it cool with you?"

Madison seemed to tense at the question but quickly shrugged it off. "Do whatever the fuck you want. I'm going out tonight."

"Aren't you gonna ask me to come with you?" Zoe asked disappointed. Sure she didn't like parties, in fact she hated them. Now even more so after what happened to Madison. But Madison had always asked her to come along if she wanted to go out. Until then, Zoe had always found a way to convince the blonde that a night in was probably better. But that night, she had the feeling that nothing could change Madison's mind.

"I don't need you, Zoe" Madison spat and slipped a dress on "Now leave me the fuck alone!"

Whoa, that hurt more than Zoe would have liked to admit. "I'm just trying to be a good friend" the young witch defended weakly.

"You wanna be a good friend, huh? Then how about you get off my fucking back?!" Madison shouted "I need to breathe, don't you understand that?"

She realised and regretted what she had said as soon as she saw Zoe's teary eyes. But it was too late to take it back. And nothing could stop her when she was in destructive mode. "Have fun with your boyfriend. And don't fuck in on my bed." she said with finality as she shut the door loudly behind her.

Tears were now running freely down Zoe's cheeks. Of all the terrible things Madison had said to her, this must be the one that hurt the most. It sounded so sincere. Was she really being overprotective of Madison? She thought that the blonde needed someone to be there for her but what if she'd been wrong all along? Maybe all Madison wanted was something to take her mind off of things. And Zoe just happened to be the perfect distraction.

That was the moment when Zoe decided that she would give Madison her space. She would go and ask Cordelia if she could switch room the next morning. But for now, she was going to get over her altercation with the movie star and make the most of the night. She called Kyle and told him that he could come to the academy if he still wanted to.

"So where's Madison?" Kyle wondered when he entered the room and noticed the blonde's absence.

"She went out" Zoe sighed "Don't ask." she added when she sa Kyle's confused look.