Hannibal

“We must hurry!” Christine quickly grabbed my wrist and, ripping me from my astonishment, began pulling me towards the doors of the opera house.

         “What? Why?” My head was still throbbing and her yanking me around was seriously not helping.

         “We’ll be late for rehearsal!” Christine laughed as she flung us through the doors of the opera house. “We have exactly twenty minutes to change and warm up!” She was still laughing as she spun around to look at the huge clock standing in the corner.

         Then we were running.

         Still holding my wrist Christine led me through a series of endless halls until we were in the back end of the opera house. I looked around to find that we had ended up in a large room lined with doors on all sides. We went up a small staircase that led to two small rooms. Christine opened the door to our right and shoved me in. I turned around to find Christine grinning widely as she threw a costume at me.

         "Please try to hurry. I believe our twenty minutes has dwindled to ten.” She was still giggling when she ran into the room next door. It wasn't until she had gone that I realized I had been laughing right along with her.

         I ran behind the screen that stood in the corner of the room and began struggling with my corset. Moving my fingers as fast as they could go, I tried untying the stupid thing but ended up with a rather large knot. Well this is just freaking fantastic! I found myself spinning in circles as I continued to fumble with the tangled mess. About mid spin I caught a glimpse of a letter opener on a small table on the other side of the tiny room.

         About two minutes and a demolished corset later, I was in my costume and about to open the bedroom door when Christine barged in with a small blond girl at her heals.

         “Good you’re ready, lets go!” She still had a smile on her face so I couldn't help but smile too. Christine grabbed the blonde's hand and led her out of the room.

         “Hello Katerina.” The blonde looked at me as she grabbed my hand, forcing me to follow closely behind Christine and herself. Her eyes were a beautiful shade of blue that perfectly complemented her delicate features.

         “Hi-ya Meg!” I heard myself say in surprise as I realized whose hand I was holding. Her crystal eyes lit up and a smile spread across her thin red lips.

         “Christine told me what happened at the cemetery. Are you alright?” Her eyes were now tinted with concern.

         “Yes I’m fine. Just a little out of ‘it’, that’s all.” I gave her my best ‘please stop staring at me like I’m dying of cancer’ look.

         “Meg I have a feeling that your mother is NOT going to be happy with us!” Christine’s pizzazz had begun to fade.

         “Don’t worry Christine, mother will understand so long as she knows of Katerina’s accident.” Meg replied with such naive charm it made it hard for me to worry.

         Although Christine didn't seem near as convinced as I was. “Whatever you say Meg.”

         We descended a small spiral staircase that I quickly recognized from the movie. Fighting our way through what seemed like hundreds of people we finally made it to the rest of the ballerinas. It wasn't until the girls began their warm ups that I remembered a very important fact; I know absolutely nothing of ballet. This can not possibly end well.

         I found myself trying to clumsily mimic the other ballerinas as Christine tried to explain what had happened to a not-so-convinced Madame Giry.