Chapter 31.I -- It's like Harry Potter, only real.

UNEDITED, NOT PROOF-READ!

Chapter 31 PART I

"I can't believe you're making me do this." Finn grumbled from next to me, shoulders hunched with his hands buried deep into his new military jacket. The air was cold and damp as we all stood around the corner to the large warehouse Chris was claimed to be currently in; the twenty three men who had accompanied us running around and shouting orders.

I rolled my eyes at his antics, checking my gun barrel and insuring that the chamber was clear before clicking the safety and placing it in my holster, "I can't believe you're actually wearing that."

"Yeah well, sorry I'm not into your weird Earth style yet. Besides I'd rather not be. Earlier I saw a woman walking down the street with trousers the same size as her underwear. Honestly, you're saying that this is worse than that?" He replied, gesturing to his rather steam punk looking outfit of a long black military coat over a loose neck brown tunic of sort and thin trousers which ended in combat boots, "Besides, you're one to talk. What on Ecrim are you wearing?"

"Rule number one, magic man; never let them see your face. It'll only come back to bite you on the arse later on." I explained in reply while opening the boot of one of the SUV's, pulling out the overly large wooden crate, "Come on Captain Jack, we've got work to do."

Making my way to where Cody and a small group of men were all gathered around the blue-print of the building and muttering amongst themselves, I placed the crate down with a thud. Popping off the lid, I carefully removed it to reveal the lines of porcelain white masks set in polystyrene supports, "I found these at the local drama school. Thought they'd work considering our lack of time."

"And you expect us all to wear one of these?" Cody asked, picking one up from the box and inspecting it, "Are they really necessary? They're a bit..."

"What?"

"I don't know...  There's something about them that doesn't sit right with me. They're so emotionless." He replied, turning one to look at the plain interior. I rolled my eyes and started to remove them from the packaging; passing them amongst the men and instructing them to not take them off until they were safely back at the cars

"They're kids' masks Cody, calm down."

"And you trust him?" He asked, nodding towards Finn who was busy staring at an over-head holographic billboard advertising STD's in awe; completely unaware of his surroundings.

I forget he lives in practically the dark ages...

I shrugged, turning and facing the Irishman fully, "...no."

"Then why are we doing this? Why risk it?" Cody replied frustrated, trying his best to keep his voice down. I didn't bother to turn, and just continued to stare at the mysterious man who stood but a few yards away. I supposed that the reason of having a feeling wouldn't be enough for Cody, nor was the fact that I was contacted by the magic man's wife and daughter who seemed like nice enough people. So I found the next truth. The thing driving me the most in this situation; which I had been hiding as best as possible.

"... Because I'm terrified. And this is the first lead we've had. I've lost so many people I care about, Cody. I don't want to lose Christopher. Not now. Not when it's just starting. Plus, why would he lie? He's new to this world, heck he didn't know what a toilet was until a few weeks back. We had to sedate him to get into the car which drove him here because he thought he was being eaten by a metal demon. That's why I believe him. Because he is so hopelessly ignorant." I explained, only glancing at him once during the reasoning. I didn't want to admit it, but if Chris did end up to be dead, I would be devastated; and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it was as such a level of importance to me he was still alive.