Chapter 4 -- "My delicious English muffin!

Chapter 4

"Alright people, we've got a pushback on the project. Its now due in tomorrow, so please take full advantage of this extra time– Terry, I'm looking at you. If you guys need me, I'll be in my office trying to sort through this stupid HS form. Rhys if you get me a coffee, I'll buy you a donut."

Two weeks had passed since my first run in with the Count; the nickname now aptly bestowed upon the mystery vampire that had left nothing but the letter C as his ident. It was the day before the big hand-in and I was currently at work sorting through all the last-minute chaos.

Everyone was all hands-on deck and all thoughts about the previous week were over-taken by the stress of seeing this deadline through. The minute it was done, I could get back to figuring out what to do about the whole vampire situation.

A statement that I never thought would cross my mind.

It was lunch time when I heard a knock at the door. Usually, I had an open-door policy and was happy to talk to anyone, but when it was the day before the deadline that policy was dead in the water. If it wasn't something along the lines of, 'Terry is dying'; I didn't want to know.

"Knock-knock!" An annoyingly familiar voice suddenly called from the doorway, the noise physically causing my heart to drop and my entire face to viscerally cringe. Looking up from my computer, I plastered on my best professional smile as the man who'd become my workplace nightmare sauntered in, wearing a short-sleeved button up and his signature pair of khaki trousers that were just that tad too tight for his tubby legs.

"Hey, Bobby," I forced, trying to sound cheerful but failing miserably. This guy got on my nerves so much I was actively avoiding him at this point. He hadn't done anything particularly awful per se, but something about him made my teeth rot. He was so overly-friendly that it became borderline inappropriate at times—but he always knew how to skirt the line of never being something you could bring to HR.

"There's my delicious English muffin! Just wondering how you were doing today?" He smiled, sitting down in the chair opposite my desk without invitation. So inappropriate...

"I'm good, yeah. Clients due in tomorrow so super busy," I fake laughed, subtly hinting for him to go away. I had to be polite to the man as I knew he was chummy with Phil in HR. Last thing I needed right now was to be called in.

"Oh, yeah! Heard you've got a big project!"

"Yeah, everyone's working super hard...!" I attempted to say enthusiastically, but he still didn't take the hint.

Being a short, stubbly man with an incredibly unflattering heavy moustache and too much cologne, it was no secret that he was lacking in female attention. He tended to latch on to anyone that he could, and for the past couple of weeks that person happened to be me.

"So anyway, I've got something uber similar due in next week and I could totally use your opinion on it, do you mind? We could meet up for dinner!" He cheered, the thought causing a chill of dread to run down my spine.

"...Listen, Bobby-"

"Shall we say, seven o clock at the Piccolo Italia on Friday? I'll pick you up!"

I shook my head in the negative, but he was already standing up from his chair, "No wait, Bobby-"

"Well, I best get going. Don't want people thinking I'm buttering up the boss!" He chirped, throwing me what I interpreted as an incredibly ill attempt of a wink before escaping out of the office, "I'll talk to you tomorrow!"

"Bobby!" I seethed, only to receive silence in return. God damnit this was not my week.

"Who was that?" Ruby asked, stepping through the doorway a few seconds later and joining me at the desk. Sighing I shook my head, turning back to my computer and glancing at the 13:04 in the bottom left corner of the screen.