Chapter 7 -- "Oh wow, look at that. He didn't eat you."

Chapter 7

Danny's POV

I shakily clutched my glass of untouched water with eyes unblinking, perched precariously on the edge of my unmade bedspread. A trance-like state fell over me as I contemplated what my next move would be. Anxiously chewing on my thumbnail, I wondered whether-or-not I should prepare for the worst. Was anything I'd been told up until this point true?

"Is this why I'm here?" I mumbled pathetically past my thumb, spiralling down a dangerous train-of-thought, "To—"

NO.

Jolting from inertness, I removed my hand from my lips and took a shallow sip of water, my knee bouncing restlessly in place. The sun was slowly beginning to descend in the late-afternoon sky, its warm light streaming into the dull bedroom as I sat indifferent to its brilliance.

"Keep it together, Dan," I instructively muttered.

The effects of the panic attack were painfully making themselves known, my body still trembling in the aftermath as I struggled to keep still. Exhaustion was due to hit at any moment, however the adrenaline of being indoctrinated into an incredibly niche cult was serving as an excellent distraction.

I'd been left to my own devices for upwards of twenty minutes, Yvane having patched me up with the promise of being, "right back," before disappearing into the void that was the outside world.

Some of my stitches had torn during the episode, my nailbeds embedded with the dried blood that had been so hastily wiped away. My hair was back to its matted state, the quick yet almost painless repair job keeping me going for the time being. The throbbing was minor but consistent, growing in intensity the longer I waited for the others to come back.

Christopher had left soon after I'd calmed down, partially motivated by the girlfriend who had stood in the doorway observing us sprawled out on the kitchen floor. Her face was void of discernible emotion once our eyes locked, and the tension ramped as neither of us dared look away.

I wondered about her involvement, and to what degree she was aware of what was happening. She stared at me with the same intensity, however her empty expression gave little answers as I waited to see what she would do next. Christopher noticed my staring and followed the gaze to finally clock her in the doorway, tensing with a sharp intake of breath as he instinctively let go of my arm.

Once noticed, he left me in Yvane's care after a hurried verbal confirmation, joining his emotionless partner and gently grabbing her inner-elbow to guide her reluctantly back outside. She was a distinctly pretty girl with large-eyes, shoulder-length auburn hair and freckles, her petite frame almost dwarfed by Christopher's as they both left the room to talk.

We were almost complete opposites, so why on Earth was I meant to be the chosen one?

Yvane had promised me that an explanation was coming. But that was twenty minutes ago, and she had conveniently gone missing since.

What felt like hours passed, and with every second the room grew smaller whilst my frustration only swelled. In reality it couldn't have been more than a few minutes, but my patience was wearing thin and the four walls I'd once considered a safe-haven were quickly resembling something closer to a jail cell.

"F*ck this," I muttered, deciding enough was enough as I stood from my perch and clumsily deposited the glass onto the nightstand. With a clearer mind, the initial panic had subsided, leaving me with little more than unanswered questions and a rise of unbridled anger, "How dare they put me in this situation?"