VIII: crazy little thing called love

"get on my tracks."

"Miraz's men and war machines are on their way

"Miraz's men and war machines are on their way." Peter's inspirational speeches were staring to bore Juliet. She was leaning against the stone brick that Edmund was sitting on. Peter and Caspian stood in the of the circular crowd, the rivalry between them got like ashes. "That means those same men aren't protecting the castle."

"Then What do you propose we do, your majesty?" Reepicheep asked Peter from his high position on the rock. Peter replied with something Juliet ceased to understand but only because Caspian answered as well. They both stared at each other.

"Awe, they are so cute." Juliet whispered in Edmund's ear, making him laugh quietly.

Caspian shook his head, and even Juliet knew something very bad would happen if they invaded the castle. "Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us." Peter said. Juliet snickered, he was being so bloody ridiculous.

"That's crazy no one has ever taken the castle." Caspian argued back.

"There's always a first." Peter shot back.

Trumpkin nodded in agreement. "We'll have the element of surprise."

Caspian sighed. "But we have the advantage here." He looked over at Juliet who gave him a warning look.

Susan stepped in. "If we dig in we can probably hold them off indefinitely." She said, glanced at Caspian who just glared down at her. Juliet's brother did not like being over powered.

"I for one," Trufflehunter exclaimed. "Feel safer underground."

Peter didn't look again and turned back to Caspian. "Look, I appreciate what you've done here, but this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb."

"Yes," Edmund said, making Juliet jump and almost fall into her bum. "But if the Telmarines are smart, they could just wait and starve us out."

"We could collect nuts." One of the squirrels suggested.

"Yes!" Juliet smiled. "And throw them at the Telmarines." Her smile dropped. "Shut up." She turned to Peter. "Listen, I think what you're suggesting is a great idea Peter, but you've got to be prepared to lose soldiers." Juliet smiled softly and glanced over to Caspian who just gave her a cold look.

"I think you know where I stand, sire." Reepicheep said. Juliet looked around at Glenstorm who nodded to her.

"Glenstorm, if Peter gets your troops in, can you handle the guards?" Juliet asked him, standing with Peter who dared tell her to shut up and go back to where she was standing. There was something about this girl, she wasn't like the ones back in London.

"Or die trying." Glenstorm replied.

"That's what I'm worried about." Lucy joined in.

"Sorry." Peter furrowed his eyebrows at his youngest sister.

Lucy looked a bit nervous. "Well you're all talking like they're only two options, dying here, or dying there."

Peter cut her off. "I'm not sure you've really been listening, Lu."

"No you're not listening." She snapped back. "Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?" Peter's eyes widened, he never thought his youngest sibling would talk to him that way, even Edmund was shocked.

"I think we've waited for Aslan long enough." Peter finished, and he left. Everyone let out a sigh of relief as he left the room and Caspian followed him to try shake his mind again, Edmund went over to Juliet trying his best not to look too desperate to catch her attention.

"Your brother is agonisingly annoying you know." Juliet laughed, Edmund smiled. "Come on, looks like there's going to be a raid after all, practice with me?" She asked and Edmund nodded, they both made their way out onto the ledge of the How and Edmund drew his sword.

"I don't want to hurt you." Edmund sounded anxious.

Juliet just snickered under her breath. "I wouldn't worry about that." She swung her sword at him and he ducked swinging his as well, there was a great clash in the air and Juliet nodded, impressed. Edmund advanced on her, pushing her ground back until she was near the edge of the ledge, but Juliet locked her sword with his and launched herself to the side of him, putting him in her previous position. Edmund slid underneath and turned to swing his sword at her but she backflipped and kicked his sword from his hands, catching it to fit perfectly in hers.

Edmund slow clapped. "I'm impressed."

"You should be."

"You're a catch."

"Whatever."

Juliet handed his property back to him and sat herself on the ledge, Edmund joining her. "What actually happened?" He asked without thinking.

"What do you mean?" Juliet asked, turning to look at him and locking her eye contact.

"Why is Caspian so protective?"

Juliet froze. Her face dropped and Edmund placed his hand on top of hers. "Gosh, I'm sorry I didn't mean to-"

"No, it's fine." Juliet said pulling her hand away. But it felt cold now, not as warm as if had been with Ed's hand comforting her. "Miraz is a liar and a cheat. He tried to kill me when I was nine because I was caught stealing from his wife, Prunaprismia. But the guards stopped him and made me promise not to say a word. Caspian found out."

Edmund kept smiling at her.

"When you grow up in a place like Telmar, sometimes it can scar you. A child should never have to go through what I have." Juliet said, her eyes went cloudy and a tear fell from her cheek.

Ed really liked her.

He grabbed her hand and held it, this time without looking at her. Just both of them looking out into the sunset, and clinging onto each other for their dear lives, this was to become a common occurrence.

🖤