Chapter 28

His lungs were full to bursting but his feet continued pounding against the hard pavement. He couldn't help but let a bout of raucous laughter escape his bloodied lips. The wind whistled past his ears as he whizzed past various passersby, and narrowly escaped crashing into a couple.

He glanced back once to make sure that Mickey and Val were following him.

Leon didn't know how long he ran for. He didn't dare to slow down, until all he could hear was his ragged breathing and the slapping of feet on the sidewalks behind him. He could no longer hear the rapid volley of Spanish from the four burly men who had followed them.

They rounded a corner, still glancing back occasionally just in case. Leon shot Val a victorious grin and slowed to a jog.

'I think we lost them,' he heaved.

'Yeah,' Val wheezed as he hunched over with his hands on his knees. He was breathing heavily as sweat trickled from his brow to splatter onto the ground.

Leon gave him a friendly smack on the back, amused at how his secretary was winded after the short run.

'I need a cold drink and a shower,' Mickey piped up as he staggered to a stop.

His legs felt like deadweight, and his throat was parched and sore. His fingers that swiped the strands of hair from his face came off with sweat and he flicked the droplets away. He could feel the sticky layer of perspiration on his skin, and frankly itched for a cold shower.

'Think your wife will let us in?' Mickey asked as they trooped past the astonished guard who sat at the lobby.

He took in Val's dirt-streaked face, and Mickey's bruised cheek and bloodied lips, then broke into laughter.

'Not at all.'

~

They were greeted by a yelp at the door from his very astonished wife.

'What happened?' she demanded with wide eyes.

She flapped her hands at him and attempted to take a large step away, but he soon closed the distance between them, and Hana found herself being rushed into their room. She glanced back at Val and Mickey and waved brightly at them.

'You stink,' she said after he closed the door behind them.

'Wear something underneath!' he whispered urgently.

At that, a flush suffused her cheeks, suddenly remembering the thin slip she had on.

'How was I supposed to know that you'd come home with them?' she returned as she dashed into their wardrobe.

She had been preparing for bed when the three men crashed through the door, disrupting her nightly skincare routine. Hana tugged her nightie above her head while he watched on unabashedly. Then she whipped her head to his, her nightie held to her chest.

'Go bathe!' she hissed.

'Mm, I'll go,' he murmured from where he leant against the door to their walk-in wardrobe, a smirk tugging at his lips.

~

Hana busied herself with organising a mini hospital on the kitchen island, aided by Mickey who chattered more than worked. Val had been provided with a towel and a change of clothes and was now showering in the guest bathroom.

'Nice place,' he muttered. 'You've got good taste. Did you decorate the place?'

'No,' she said. 'It was already like that when I came.'