Chapter 10

A/N: Enjoy this chapter!

~

The sky was the colour of pitch, yet not a single star was out. Angry clouds roiled heavily, hanging low in the sky, threatening to release its temper onto the earth. The headlights of his car illuminated a set of white, rusted gates that ground unwillingly apart to allow them entrance. For the past ten minutes or so, they had passed squat buildings cloaked in darkness, she had difficulty making out where exactly they were.

When they alighted from the vehicle, a strong gust of wind greeted them, causing her skirt to billow out around her. Hana grabbed desperately at the material as she hurried after Leon. She could hear the distant crashing of waves and the blast of ship horns.

She had left her coat in the car, and as the breeze threatened to chill her, she considered returning to fetch it. But one glance at his tense shoulders made her think that maybe it was better to suffer the cold now than to risk his anger.

Hana was fairly surprised by the large floorspace beyond the simple metal door. Leon led her past a group of men who were sitting around sets of plastic tables, smoking and drinking. They had stood to greet him when they entered, but she couldn't ignore the blatantly curious stares that followed her.

A boxing ring sat in the middle of the floor, surrounded by neatly arranged gym equipment. Beyond that area was a row of cars, gleaming fiercely under the harsh lights of the warehouse.

So this was his workplace. It was different from the dim, homey offices that the Kei-Shiragata occupied in Tokyo.

She was silently cursing the heels she had chosen to wear. She didn't think that part of their dinner date would have consisted of her trotting after him. Why did he have to walk so fast anyway? Her toes were cramped in her shoes.

He led her down a dimly lit hallway with lines of similar brown doors on either side. Then he stopped abruptly and she almost crashed into his back. His harsh eyes flew to her as if he had forgotten she was there. He walked a few steps back and opened a door for her.

'Wait in my office,' he instructed. 'If you want a drink, there's a pantry four doors down.'

Hana stepped in hesitantly, not even noticing when he removed his dinner jacket and held it out to her. There was an impatient sigh behind her. But before she could turn about, she felt a soft material around her shoulders.

'Take a seat,' Leon told her, then he shut the door as he left.

Her fingers flew to the lapels of his jacket in surprise. His jacket was still warm from his heat. He had left too abruptly for her to thank him but she appreciated the gesture, and slid her arms into the sleeves.

A faint scent of pine could be discerned from the collar and she smiled as she remembered the body wash she had bought for him.

She walked unhurriedly to one of the padded wooden chairs at the desk as her eyes took in the plain room. White walls, concrete floor, a simple wooden desk piled high with folders, a black swivel chair, a sunken couch and a cupboard in one corner of the room, and a coat stand by the door. These were the barest of furniture that the Federov's young boss kept in his office; a place meant to symbolise his power.

The room contained a window but it was shut, revealing nothing but pitch black sky and sea outside.

Then the door opened abruptly. Hana jumped up and her jaw dropped at the familiar face. The laughing boy! He'd been the one to make her drink!

Markey. Or was it Mackey?

'Hello!' he called out cheerfully as he loped into the room with ease. 'I heard you're waiting for the boss here.'