Chapter 60

Hana was sitting in her bed, cross legged with her back against the wall. She had Leon's red scarf tied around her neck and the blanket was around her shoulders in an effort to ward off the cold. It had snowed lightly the night before, powdering the back lawn and forest into a dreamy white. Usually, she would have been excited at the sight of snow, but staring out at the frozen landscape only made her regretful now. How could one enjoy the snow while locked in the house?

She watched thoughtfully as Sabine packed her bags. The order had came that morning, just after she'd returned to her room. Juan had instructed for all the girls, except for her and Marie, to pack their things to move them to separate clubs. The guards were then to accompany the girls for security reasons, in case someone took the chance to run, but she knew it was probably for a different reason altogether.

The guest who was due to arrive in the afternoon, did that have to do with the sudden decision? And why only now?

She bit her lower lip, holding back on another wave of nausea. Hana hated running off to the bathroom so often, knowing that it would attract unwanted attention. Besides, Sabine didn't even know her true identity, and also that she was one of the reasons why Juan's gang was taking such a hit.

There was a knock on the door but she ignored it. With her eyes screwed shut, she took deep breaths to control her morning sickness. She vaguely heard the door open and hushed voices, then felt a hand on her knee.

"Hana, Marie wants to speak to you."

Her eyes flew open and she sat up abruptly.

"Yes?" Her head turned to face the door and she saw the girl standing just aside, her long, thin fingers grasping onto her pink shawl. With some effort, she pushed herself off the bed and dragged her feet to Marie.

~

The girl took another step back to the side, as if indicating that they should speak outside the room. Hana obliged, but left the door ajar. The wooden floorboards beneath her feet seemed to be frozen, sending shivers up her legs and knees. She wished she had kept her socks on.

"Yeah?"

Dark circles spotted the girl's eyes and she wasn't wearing makeup today. She appeared more exhausted than ever, as if she'd had a tiresome time the night before. After hearing about Marie's difficult pregnancy, she sort of pitied her, but still, she was the enemy. And the girl who'd slept with her husband no less.

Oh, Leon had said nothing had happened between them, but Leon wasn't here to defend himself now and Hana was hopelessly at a loss in front of this pregnant girl who appeared to believe otherwise.

"I've been meaning to speak with you."

Hana nodded and gave her a slight smile, waiting for her to continue.

"I didn't know he was married, or I wouldn't have done it."

"What?"

She glanced back into the room and around the hallway, ensuring that Sabine was busy with the packing and that no one else was near them.

"Look", she muttered as savagely as she could, "It's already happened, so don't bring it up. I don't really care, alright? I just want to get away."

But her own words became a hand that clutched at her heart. She did care, she realised. She didn't want Leon to be sleeping with another girl, especially if that girl was taller and prettier than her. They'd even done it before she and Leon had the chance to do so, and that made her feel worse. What was her first time with him supposed to mean? An apology for having been neglected?