Chapter 57

They were lying face to face. Her fingers were gently combing his hair, while his arms were around her, holding her close. It was warm; the heater was switched on, and she had wrapped her blanket around them.

"How are you?" she asked, with her eyes directly on his. "I saw someone pull a knife on you."

"I'm fine." He smiled, then lightly bumped his forehead against hers. "It's just a scratch, don't worry. My shirt is torn though, and it's a new shirt too."

"Silly." She heaved a sigh of relief, then reached a hand down to his abdomen and felt for the tear. Sure enough, his checkered shirt had a little rip where the knife had been. A thin line of congealed blood spotted his otherwise unblemished skin. "Does it hurt?"

"No. It's stopped bleeding already." His eyes that were completely fixed on her travelled down to stare at her lips. The memory of their kiss replayed in his head, and he wondered if she'd squeal if he suddenly kissed her again. He'd almost taken her then, just that the heat was getting to him, and he had to strip off his coat or he'd die of heatstroke.

Maybe it was a good thing they pulled apart before it had gotten further. He'd only just found out she was pregnant, and he didn't want to hurt her or their baby. Their baby! The thought sent odd tingles down his spine.

Her expert fingers in his hair was lulling him into a mood, and the fact that she had a leg tucked between his wasn't helping either. Their close proximity was simply taunting him.

"Do you want to get on top?", she asked with an innocent air.

Was she actually reading his mind? The gears in his brain grounded to a halt as his mouth stayed open, words failing him.

"No, that's fine", he finally blurted, after considering what being on top of her would do to his racing heart. "I don't want to hurt you."

"It's alright." Her lips pulled into a smile and she lay on her back a little. "Just don't be too rough."

Don't be too rough?

He sat up abruptly before his hands could act without his mind. Then he rolled out of the bed, much to her confusion.

"Did Juan let you come in here?", she asked.

He snaked an arm around her waist and brushed his lips against her forehead. He couldn't help but touch her at any opportunity, for his hands had ached to feel her after being apart for so long.

"We talked for a bit. Then I asked if I could see you. He said 'yes', then told me to 'enjoy yourself.'"

Enjoy yourself, Juan's voice rang out in his mind again. You won't be seeing her for long after that.

Really, eh? He had shot that man his trademark smirk. Not if I can help it.

But he brushed Juan's words away. He had even more important things to do than to allow his captor to invade his thoughts.

"Hana", he started, with seriousness taking over his tone. "I've got something important to tell you. You have to remember everything, alright?"

"What is it?" She shifted slightly to face him.

"I didn't come in here without a plan, you know", he said with a grin as his voice lowered to a mere whisper. "I've got men surrounding this place. In a few days, they'll attack. But we will lead by starting from the inside."

"An attack!" She sounded amazed. "Really?"

"Yes, really." He chuckled as he thought back to the meeting he'd had with Val and Mickey, and all the absurd, nonsensical plans they'd thought up. Of course, they had come up with other, more ingenious plans too. "I've got something for you.'