Chapter 58

"So? How are you?"

The door shut behind the intruder with a clang, followed by the multiple clicking of bolts. With a tray in his hands, Juan strolled to him, then set the tray on the bed, just before Leon.

"I'm fine."

"Fine, fine", he echoed with a trace of a smile on his lips. "Just like your wife."

Leon chose to ignore that, then looked down at the tray with disinterest. A bowl of rice, a spoon, a fork, and a bowl of steaming beef broth. His stomach rumbled, albeit not loud enough for Juan to hear.

"Go on", Juan said with a wave of his hand as he settled on the edge of the bed. "I didn't poison it. I still want you alive, you know?"

Whoever scooped out that portion of broth was generous. He could count almost six chunks of meat floating in the soup accompanied by large helpings of cabbage, carrots and onions. Steam wafted from the bowl and tickled his nostrils, teasing his empty stomach. He'd been left alone in the cold, dim room for almost six hours after all. There had been nothing to amuse himself with except for the rope around his wrist that was attached to the pipe running above the bed. Gripping both sides of the bowl with his hands, he tentatively brought it to his lips and took a sip.

He swallowed.

He grabbed the spoon and dipped it into the bowl, all the while conscious of Juan following his every move. Was there something wrong with the food after all? Had he drugged it? Why was he watching him like that?

Leon chewed on a portion of beef and mindlessly stirred the broth with the spoon, trying to ignore the pair of green eyes trained on him. No, Juan would tell him if the food was poisoned. Then he'd watch as he struggled to eat it, and would stand over him as his body convulsed. Yes, that was exactly what his captor would do.

A smirk tugged at his lips.

"What's so funny?"

The smirk turned into a full grin as he scooped up a large spoonful of beef and cabbage.

"Oh, nothing. Just thinking about your plans for me.'

"Is that so...", Juan murmured with a raised brow. His polished shoes made muted tap taps on the concrete floor as he leant back on his palms and tilted his head to the ceiling. "I see. I do have some idea though."

Then he turned to Leon with a smile.

"But I won't tell you just yet."

Leon shrugged a shoulder, and focused his attention on his food. Whoever made the broth did an excellent job.

"Humans are interesting, don't you think?", Juan said as he watched him eat. "Here you are, courting death, when you've just been released from jail three days ago. Do you really like her that much to come here?"

He pursed his lips and tilted his head to the side.

"Yes", he answered. What was he onto now?

Juan nodded. His foot had picked up its annoying tapping, and Leon watched the motion with a frown.

"I see. Did you know that she tried to run a few days ago?"

At that, Leon perked up. Hana? Run? Juan had sensed the slight change in his prisoners mood, and shot him a knowing smile.

"Yes", he enunciated. "Run. But don't worry. I didn't do much to her in the way of punishment. Doesn't she have such a precious gem?"

His hand tightened around the spoon so much so that he could feel the metal digging into his palm. Ah, so he knows too?