Jump [S2:E12]

!!! IMPORTANT MESSAGE AT THE END !!!

| March 26 | Monday Morning|

~ Sam's POV ~

The jolting of the plane made my heart shake with fear. I had never flown before, and as of now we were off to a literally shaky start. My hand found Megan's instinctively and gripped it.

"Babe, it's okay. We're just taking off," she comforted.

"I know." My eyes closed. "I just don't like flying."

"You've never even flown before," Blair stated.

I turned around. "And you've never been eaten by a clown, but you're still afraid of them, aren't you?"

"That's different!"

Tony and Megan found the exchange humorous, but my anxiety was sky high.

After about five minutes, the plane seemed to level out, allowing my heart rate to decrease. Luckily, Shawn had gotten us a nonstop flight, knowing that the less change I had, the better. I would thank him later.

"Are you alright?" Megan asked.

"Yeah," I answered.

She smirked. "You're kinda cute when you're scared."

"You find my pain cute?"

"Just a little."

"That's a bit sadistic."

Instead of saying anything, Megan just gave me a mischievous smirk. I found my brain distracted from the plane ride only for a moment.

"You think Charlie is gonna be okay?" I wondered.

"She'll be fine." Megan adjusted in her seat. "She's in good hands at The Kennel. Plus, she'll be around other dogs."

I knew Charlie would be fine. I was just trying to distract myself with conversation, which Megan must've picked up on.

"Have you talked to Mariah since...?"

"No," I answered. "And apparently she didn't try picking up Sara's shift the next day either, which means she'll probably get kicked out of wherever she was living."

Megan fell silent.

"I couldn't let her work like that," I claimed.

"No. You couldn't."

"I mean, I know that I'm her friend but... my job is important. She would've done more harm than good anyway..."

I was trying to find reason, but it didn't matter. I knew I had done the right thing when it comes to work policy, but things got blurry when you took everything into consideration.

Mariah and I were cool, and I knew she was going through some things. She messed up, which was why I didn't fire her. I could've done a lot worse. I'm sure Danna would've.

"You did the right thing, Sam," Megan finished. "Sometimes you'll have to be a manager before a friend. It's your job."

Her words comforted me, but I still couldn't help but feel bad for Mariah. I had been where she is now, and its not easy. You feel alone, isolated, and in need of an escape.

"Hey," Megan interrupted my thoughts. "We're on vacation. No more thinking about that until we get home, alright?"

I nodded, knowing that Jinx and Mariah would be fine without me there. Danna had eagerly agreed to cover my few shifts in order for me to go and see my brother, so there was nothing to worry about.