Two Sides [S2:E10]

| March 18 | Sunday Morning |

~ Megan's POV ~

My body was weak the next morning from the lack of sleep after last night. Sam had snapped, and I recognized that look in her eyes. It was the same look she had when I first met her. Something was haunting her, and she refused to tell me what was going on.

So, when she went off, I couldn't help but shut her out.

It's not because I wanted to punish her or push her away. I locked her out because sometimes she needed tough love. She needed someone to show her how her reactions affected the ones around her.

She didn't fight to come in when I locked her out. She didn't even knock, which showed me she believed she deserved to sleep on the couch. I wanted to see if doing that would provoke an apology, but it didn't, which then kept me awake most of the night.

I climbed out of bed and opened the door, seeing Sam curled up on the couch. The fact that she was still asleep led me to believe she hadn't gotten much sleep during the night either.

Charlie escaped our room and jumped onto the couch, waking my girlfriend with morning kisses. Sam squirmed and came to the realization that I was standing in the door watching her.

She rubbed her eyes. "Megan..."

Her voice was groggy and sad. It made my heart quiver in pain. I knew me locking her out last night had hurt her, but the fact that she had refused to talk to me about what was bothering her for a week hurt me too. I had no idea what was going on. Was it something I did? Something I said?

"Please come here," she begged.

My feet instinctively walked towards her.

She moved so I could join her on the couch.

"I'm sorry," she apologized. "I didn't mean to freak out yesterday... I just, I don't know why..."

There was a look in her eyes, something that told me she wasn't telling the truth. She knew why she freaked out. She knew what was bothering her. She knew but she wouldn't tell me.

"Sam." She stopped talking. "You're lying."

Her jaw clenched at the accusation. Then her head dropped.

"Nikki came into Jinx last Friday," she revealed. My heart stopped. "She brought up the last time you two slept together. She told me that she asked you if you still loved her after and that you didn't answer her..."

Her voice trembled and then fell. Nikki and Sam had run into each other? And Sam hadn't told me? Why?

"Sam..."

"Did you still love her?" Sam asked.

"No." I shook my head. "Is that what's been bothering you?"

She took a deep breath and rubbed her eyes again. Her hesitation was worrying me.

"She insinuated that you might still have feelings." Sam picked at her fingers. "I freaked out. I just lost control... like I used to back in high school. Mariah came outside with me and tried calming me down, but nothing was working..."

The mentioning of Mariah made my skin hot.

"She uh... she offered me weed to help calm me down." Sam couldn't look at me. "I took a hit, but that's it."

I was mad, but I was more upset at the fact that Sam had felt the need to keep this from me. All of this could've been avoided had she been honest. What made her feel like she couldn't be? What had I done to make her feel like that?