Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Seeing Layton and Drew near each other, I could make out some similarities. They had the same eye color, almost the same build, and the shape of their heads was also similar. Their differences also stood out, like Drew's hair was a little bit longer than Layton's and was styled to the side. Layton seemed to be more built than Drew but I could tell that they both could hold their own during a fight.

"What are you doing here?" Drew asked, finally breaking the silence. He walked towards Sabrina and dug around the cooler for a second before handing her a bag of chips, which she gratefully took and began eating.

"Can't I just come by to see my big brother?" Layton responded, crossing his arms and leaning against the wall. I saw Levi take the cooler from Drew and walk towards what I assumed was the kitchen, probably to put them away.

"You've had decades to come and visit me, and you chose now? I know you're here for a reason," he said, before finally having his dark gray eyes land on me. "Who's she?"

Before Layton could say anything, I stood up and introduced myself. "I'm Nebraska," I said, peeking a glance at Layton. I needed to show him that I was more than capable of doing things by myself.

Sabrina and Drew both cocked their heads curiously. "What? Like the state?" Sabrina asked.

It was a while since I've heard someone say that to me. "Yeah...like the state."

"Oh. Well I'm Sabrina and that's Drew," she said, pointing towards Drew when she said his name. I wanted to say 'I know' but not wanting to sound like a creep, I just nodded while remaining quiet. As much as I wanted to be able to talk about our current situation, Layton understood it more than I did. It would be better if he explained it.

"Can we talk?" Layton asked, motioning up the stairs towards Drew. Drew looked at Sabrina and then at me before I realized what he was doing. He was deciding whether it was safe for him to leave her along with me.

He whispered something to Sabrina, even I couldn't hear, before she nodded. He then nodded towards Layton and they disappeared up the stairs into another room.

Now it was just the three of us; Sabrina, Jason, and me. I had no idea where Levi was, but I'm guessing he must be in the kitchen or in one of the other rooms in here. Sabrina wrapped her arms around her stomach and glanced around, avoiding my eye.

Was she expecting me to start the conversation? I didn't know how to do that! Maybe if I ask questions it could get an actual conversation going. "Nice room," I complimented, looking around.

She smiled and tucked some flyaway hair behind her ear. "Thanks. Drew wanted to go for more darker colors, like black or gray, but we compromised on this," she said.

"This is a compromise?" I questioned, looking around the room. The entire room had lime green, baby blue, and white for colors. No part of the room except some parts of the wooden furniture was dark.

She smiled sheepishly. "Well, I didn't exactly specify who was stronger in the compromise."

I laughed along with her. When she wasn't being shy or cautious, she actually seemed like a genuinely fun person. "Wow, you practically have him wrapped around your finger huh?" I said, grinning widely to show I was comfortable with her.

She shrugged. "It's the same with you and Layton," she said. I scoffed. Yeah right.

"Doubt it. Layton's been too busy with all this stuff that he hasn't paid that much attention to me." Even as I said it, I could tell that I sounded disappointed with the fact. Was I really feeling bad for the lack of attention Layton was giving me?