Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"Levi go out and check the car," Layton ordered, grabbing the keys off the counter and throwing it at his brother.

He caught the keys but glared at his brother. "And why would I do that? Dude I've got things I need to-"

"Just go!" Layton growled, glaring back at him. It didn't surprise me anymore to see Levi just roll his eyes at Layton's behavior before walking away, muttering curses at him. Once Levi was gone, Layton turned back towards me while I shifted my feet and avoided his gaze.

I knew what he was going to ask and I wasn't sure if I was prepared to answer that. "Why'd you leave?" he asked. I could hear him pull up a chair and sit down but I still didn't dare to look up; I was scared of what I would see if I did.

It shouldn't be a shock to me that he was mad that I left, but what was surprising to me was that he followed me all the way here. Did he follow me the entire time? Or did he just know I was instantly going to go home?

"Are you going to answer?" he questioned. He was careful to keep his voice calm but I could tell me was getting angrier each minute that I kept my mouth shut.

Last thing I needed was an angry vampire near my brother. "Jason can you go watch TV in the living room?" I asked, turning to look at him. He nodded before spooning one more spoonful of rice in his mouth. He grabbed a banana from the counter before getting off the chair and going to the living room.

I waited until I could hear the sound of one of the shows he likes watching before answering Layton. "It wasn't like I was going to leave forever," I lied. Might as well try to keep him as calm as possible.

"The fact that you left in the first place is already dangerous enough! God Nebraska, did you not think about how dangerous it was for you out there!" he shouted.

"Of course I did! That's why I had to ask Karla about being this night creature!"

"Oh so you asked Karla, who wants us both dead by the way, about something that concerns your health? Did you not stop to think that whatever she told you was a lie?" he questioned.

"She wants you dead, not me! She wouldn't hurt me," I told him.

Whatever I tried to tell him seemed to just go through one ear and out the other. "If you told her that I turned you, then automatically you're on her hit list!"

"But she invited me into her home!" I argued. Even when I said that I knew how bad of an argument that was, but something in me just didn't want to admit Layton was right.

I could had gotten hurt. I ran out not knowing what was dangerous to me and what was safe. I ran out not knowing where I was, who was around, and how to get where I wanted to go. Heck, I didn't even know where to go at first!

Even if deep down I know he was right, I wasn't going to admit it. "Have you seen Hansel and Gretel?" he exclaimed. 

I rolled my eyes. "Oh come on I doubt she was going to eat me, Layton."

"But she's a witch! Doesn't that prove that-"

"Guys I have some bad news," Levi interrupted, walking inside. I sighed in relief knowing that I didn't have to put up a pointless argument with Layton anymore and turned my attention to Levi. By the look on Layton's face, I knew the argument was far from over, but for now it was on pause.

Now I just need to keep the pause going. "What is it?" Layton asked, tiredly rubbing his eyes.

"There's this GPS on the car," he said, holding up the horrible thing that couldn't even lead me to the right road.