Get to know the other better [25]

Less than 30 minutes later we were sitting around the round-couch (that's how I call the huge table with the couch around it), a huge pile of nachos lying in the middle with some cheese-sauce next to it.

By my left sat Henry, his hand secretly folded around mine under the table. I totally understood how embarrassing could the situation be for him since I was his boss's daughter. Of course it was pretty obvious we liked the other more than just as friends - still, we didn't feel comfortable enough to make it official just then.

"My turn" I stated after finishing off the nachos in my mouth. Man, that was such a tasty nachos! "So, Ray. What would my real surname have been?"

"Manchester" told the man simply, keeping his blue eyes locked on me. I guess it was kinda strange for him to be with his daughter after such a long time. "Will you ever call me 'Dad' again?"

"It depends in which mood I'll be in" I replied and winked one, a sarcastic smile creeping up to my face. His expression turned into a seemingly annoyed one with the arms on the hip. I laughed out so badly that even my tears came out. "Don't worry, I'll call you 'Dad' sometimes. But it's just so strange to do that"

"It's alright, Del, I understand. I can't promise words like 'sweetheart' or 'dear' from myself" acknowledged Ray with a bit of embarrassment shining in his eyes as he looked at me.

I just simply laughed happily, taking a look around the place, filled with my friends. Everyone was there - except Schwoz, who had gone out of town to get some kind of component to his machines. Charlotte were in front of me, Jasper sitting beside her, muching on some nachos. Then came Ray - aka Dad - whose left hand was lying on the top of the couch's bback-rest, behind me. The man's blue eyes shone up as his glance wandered onto me multiple times with an ear-to-ear smile on his lips. I didn't blame him for doing that - after all, he could finally meet his own daughter what he hadn't been able to do ever since I have just known my mind. Plus, on the top of that, I also had the same, joyful feeling in my soul. It was so obvious, yet so unnoticable... He had been there with me and for me all along. That's a deep reason no to blame him for my past parental state.

Last but not least, there was a boy I couldn't not look at without my heart beating with the speed of a racing car. When those beautiful brown orbs eyed me, the so well-known in-love, pink mist formed around me, turning the arrogant yet funny girl into a simple teenager who didn't want anything else but a normal life. Which will hopefully become the reality and not just an imagined scene.

However, I must cope with the cortex all over my left shoulder and other bodyparts, including my neck and the lower part of my jaw. The material was so stiff and severe that I could barely move it sideways or up and down. Also, I felt as the cortex burnt my skin, which - I hoped not - meant it was spreading. Since I had known what I am capable of under control, I was afraid what would happen if my body was covered with the stiff material. Mostly my head, neck and heart - after all, these are the most important bodyparts.

I was about to turn my head toward Henry - as he repeated a question multiple times for me, due to my little emotional moments - when the cortex around my neck cracked out aloud, causing unbearable pain creeping into the bodypart. It was so horrible that every part of my body suddenly turned into a sudden shock, forcing me to let Hen's hand go. It felt like an electric shock - neither could I move nor feel my limbs for long minutes.

Then, the strange shock disappeared from my veins, causing the enervate bodyparts simply fell down, right onto the couch and the two men's laps. My head was twirling all around, my vision unclear. The only thing I could see was the other's figures smudged into colorful patches - at least I could hear what they were saying, still these were sometimes incomprehensible as well.

"What happened?" asked Charlotte not far from me. Her voice sounded worried, just like the others'.

"I don't know..." replied the blondie, his voice trembling from the nervousness. During the time, somehow I had been lied onto the floor and everyone had gathered around.

I felt someone's hand touching my cheek, slightly buffetting it to get me back to life. I tried as hard as I could to show some kind of movement, still I felt too weak. But I didn't give up. I fought until my lips could move and some words sneak out of my mouth. "I... I a-am alive"

Everyone around me froze for a minute, then surprisedly glanced at the other - at least that was what I could distil with the poor eyesight I had. My head still hurt, though the world slowly stopped from swirling around. Just in time, before I would have vomitted out the nachos.

Hen was the first who broke the sudden silence. He gently leaned closer to me, his warm and pleasant breath soothing my cheek. His strong arms settled down beside my head when he slowly - not to scare me because of the still unclear view - bent lower, his soft lips touching mines. It made my heart fasten up again, adrenaline flushing my veins. The butterflies woke up inside my belly and began flapping all around, causing my breath to go crazy. But most important of all, it gave me enough will-power to get myself together and fight against the cortex and claim my old self back.

Some minutes later, when the last dozen of my power finally came back, my senses also get back their original formes. At long last I could clearly see as the boy's beautiful brown eyes darted into my blue ones from so close, our lips still attached to the other's. It seemed like an eternity, like time has stopped around us - a moment some weeks ago I could only wish for. That feeling could no words describe - you must experience it.

Then, the boy slowly let me go, lifting up only some centimetres. His red lips formed a relieved smile as he spoke up. "Don't scare the hell out of us next time, okay? I thought for a second we'll loose you" told the guy and with that, he lowered himself down again, now giving a long, sweet kiss onto that part of my neck which wasn't covered in the rough material.

It tickled so much that I giggled up, my lips also setting into a happy smile. With my arms filled with power again I wrapped myself around Henry, who with a sudden movement clutched me by the back and lifted up onto his laps, into a sitting position. His lips were on my neck all along, his breath giving me the goosebombs. 

Over my friend's shoulder I could see the relieved expression of the reamining three members of the team. Charlotte was leaning on Jasper, while Ray immediately formed eye-contact with me. His eyes told me even more of how he felt at that moment - like every dad would have felt. Freaked out, stressed about his daughter's status and also a bit relieved to see I had actually survived the little fiasco. But he was more than a dad - he was also one of my best freidns, as well.

His blue eyes gleamed at me when he walked closer to us and crouched down to see me on the same height. "Has a case like that happened before to you?"

I tied my hands around my boyfriend's neck and slightly changed direction in order to face the man in full view. I was still sitting on his legs as he was crouching and his arms folded around my waist tightly. "No... Actually, the cortex appeared only early today and at the beginning, it was only on my lower arm in a small patch. It didn't seem dangerous at all"

"If that Tyler guy and his stupid Dad did this to you, I swear I will kill them with cold blood" grumbled Hen with mad voice, his hands tightening around my waist. His fingers were literally in my side and it was a bit painful.

To calm him down I leaned there and gave a quick, calm-down kiss onto his lips. He immediately stopped murmuring and looked into my eyes surprisedly. "It won't work if we just sit here and scold them. We don't know their position... Plus, what if they have a complete security system? I wouldn't want to be caught by that"

"She's right" sounded Char, joining our crouching club. "We must think out a proper plan. Beside, Delilah can't fight in this state. Who knows when will a case like this happen to her next time?"

"You're right" replied Ray and Hen at the same time, their minds began searching for a possible solution - like me, Charlotte and Jasper did, as well.