28

saori hates packing. if she could, she would just shove every piece of her clothing into her suitcase and be done with it. but she can't because her aunt's gonna check up on her and scold her for not packing properly.

it took her an hour of folding and rearranging her clothes, leaving extra spaces for the souvenirs she'll buy for her friends and boyfriend.

she whines about trying to close it and asks yuzuki to sit on her suitcase while she zips it close.

"how many did you pack?" yuta appears, leaning on her doorway.

"enough," saori answers shortly. "i want to buy a lot of snacks for johnny!"

"you should buy him one of those black bodysuits that burglars wear," yuta suggests.

"maybe. or maybe i'll buy him a totoro hoodie—oh my god that'd be so cute on him!" saori coos, pulling yuzuki into a hug and pinching her cheeks.

"saori, that hurts!"

"sorry!" saori giggles.

she's in a good mood today. she's gonna have an awesome winter vacation back and osaka. she gets to see her childhood house and neighborhood again. and most importantly, she gets to see her dad after months. last time she saw him was when he went to korea for a business trip and made a detour at yuta's house.

"you're really excited, huh." yuta muses, a smile creeping on his lips.

it's been a while since he last saw her like this. he's glad he still gets to see this sight of saori.

"of course i am!" saori cheers, letting yuzuki go, who runs to her mom, ratting saori out. "i'm so psyched to go back to japan!"

yuta smiles at that. yeah, it's gonna be fun to revisit their hometown. it feels bittersweet, going back to a place they once lived in. still, great memories.

of course, both saori and yuta have still to address the elephant in the room. the elephant being momo and her unresolved friendship with saori.

"will you be okay though?" yuta had to check.

going back to japan means a series of nostalgic memories. but it also means saori has to relive everything that has happened. both pleasant and unpleasant.

saori grows quiet as she stares at her out the window, avoiding yuta's gaze.

"dad's gonna be there. we're gonna be okay," saori says more to herself than yuta.

yuta wants to give her a hug but his feet are rooted onto their spot.

"sao," he calls.

saori finally meets his gaze.

"you know we love you, right?"

that makes saori smile. "i know," she replies. "i love you guys too."

yuta's satisfied. he's happy saori knows.

after that, yuta's mom starts nagging them to load their things into their car. soon enough, they're headed to the airport, with everyone cramped up into mr. nakamotos minivan.

"i hope the mochi shop's still open by the time we get there," saori crosses her fingers.

"sao, mr. ino is 100 years old. he can barely keep his eyes open when he tends the shop," yuta reminds her.

"i know but still!" saori pouts. she feels her phone vibrate as she checks to see who texted her.

she shakes her head fondly upon receiving a message from her boyfriend saying he misses her already.