Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

      “Liz!” my mom’s cheerful voice sang from another region of the house. 

      “What?” I called back, sighing at my image in the mirror.

      “They’re here!” she yelled chirpily. I took one more displeased look at my reflection, and then left my room.

      As I came down the hallway, I could already smell the unpleasant aroma of various perfumes belonging to the girls. How I was going to survive the day was the true question looming in my mind. Slowly, I entered the front room, unsure if I was going to be able to do it.

      “Liz!” the shrill feminine shriek sounded.

      “Hi!” I greeted, flashing a fake smile at the girls in front of me.

      “You look amazing!” Tara gushed in reaction to my (Well, more my mother’s) wardrobe choice. 

      A pair of dark blue jeans that closed down at the bottom and were close to impossible to get into were on my legs, and a tight, white T-shirt that dipped at the neckline, creating a V-like shape was on my torso. In addition, I had on boots that went up to my knees, and clung to my calves. They were brown, and, though the day of walking hadn’t even started yet, were killing my feet. Over my shirt was a soft sweatshirt of a navy color that zipped down the middle and had a hood. Oh, and to add to this already oh so “chic” ensemble, was a blue bag of the same type that the girls used for school.

      I hate purses. I always have, and most likely always will. They get in the way and are annoying. Clothes come with pockets, so why need purses? They’re just one more thing to carry, and I truly do not understand the point of them. If I want to bring my phone someplace, it can go into my pocket; there is no need to take a massive bag everywhere just for two things. Purses are one of the many things I’m not a fan of in the society that I live.

      “Thanks, so do you!” I said, not really caring what she was wearing.

      “Aw, thanks!” she said, flipping her dark hair over her shoulder.

      “So, girls, who’s ready… to go shopping?!” my mom said excitedly. The three girls screeched as I groaned inwardly. This was going to be a very shitty day.

      We exited the house, walking over to my mom’s car. Alice got into the back first, then Lauren in the middle, and then Tara. I sat in the passenger’s seat next to my mom. Once everyone was comfortably settled, my mom placed the keys into the ignition, ready to go. 

      “So, what do you guys like listening to?” she asked, beginning to flip through radio stations.

      “Pop,” Tara and Lauren answered simultaneously.

      “Classical,” Alice said quietly. The two fans of pop shot her skeptical look, before rolling their eyes. 

      “Really?” Lauren said, indicating that she should change her choice of words.

      “I was kidding… I love pop,” Alice fumbled.

      “Pop it is!” my mother said happily. Sometimes I believe that my mother acts more like a teenage girl than I do. She stopped at station that was playing some upbeat song. There were multiple voices on the track, all of which sounding like girls, leading me to believe it was some new group I didn’t know about.

      “That’s what makes you beautiful!” Lauren sang (Well, more shrieked) along with the song on the radio. “I love One Direction!”