Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

I awoke to the distasteful sound of a blaring alarm, ringing in my ears. My reasoning behind choosing  such a horrific noise eluded my mind. Mindlessly, I flopped a hand over to my bedside table, and slapped off the alarm. It silenced. Something rather important then clicked in my mind: it was Saturday. I jolted up and stared at my clock, wondering why I had set it for 6:00 A.M.. Then, it hit me: I had wanted to walk around the neighborhood without running into a sole. After my escapade two weeks prior, I had learnt that 8:00 had been too late.

       Slowly, I rolled out of bed and tumbled gracelessly onto the floor, bumping my knee in the process. I rubbed my skin-covered joint, getting off of the chilled floor. In a dazed state, I wandered over to my closet and pulled out a white T-shirt, blue mesh shorts, and a gray hoodie.

       After somehow getting dressed in such a tired state, I tied my hair into a tight ponytail, and threw on the first pair of shoes I saw: red and white Jordans. I put the hood of my sweatshirt on my head, and deemed my exterior barely acceptable for a morning stroll.

       Grabbing a drawstring backpack that was on my floor, I then threw my phone, some cash, and other random items into it. I placed the straps of the bag over my shoulders, remembering that my mom was still probably sleeping so it would be best to keep on the quieter side, when exiting.

       In a silent manner, I tiptoed out of my room and through the boring hallway. When I came to the front room, there were two packed suitcases belonging to my mother, stacked one on top of the other. Something was up.

       “Whoa! Liz, you’re up so early,” my mom said from behind me. I turned, and saw her fully adorned in fashion from head to toe. Her makeup had already been applied, and she didn’t even look tired.

       “So are you,” I said.

       “Yeah, about that, sweetie… I’m going to L.A. for a few days,” she said, fiddling with her blonde hair.

       “Oh? How long?”

       “Between three and seven days. It’s for work. I’m leaving you with my car,” she responded, handing me her beloved keys. “You’ll be alright on your own, right? Kit’s still in the city, and I already told Mrs. Wilson that I’d be out. If you need anything, just call me, and I’ll take care of it.”

       “Sounds fine,” I nodded.

       “Yeah. So, where are you going?” she questioned, glancing at me accusingly.

       “For a walk,” I said.

       “So, I’m guessing you’ll leave before I do?”

       “Probably,” I nodded once more.

       “I’m going to miss you so much!” she sighed, giving me a tight hug.

       “I’ll miss you too, mom,” I said, hugging her back.

       “There’s food in the fridge, and, if you must, there are frozen dinners in the freezer if need resort to them. You better call me every day!” she said, tightening her grip around me.

       “Will do,” I said, pulling back.

       “I also left you some money on the counter. When I get back, I’ll take you to a Celtics game or something,” she promised dismissively.

       “Mom, we’re in New York, and it’s not their season,” I pointed out with a sigh.

       “Whoops! Well, have fun on your walk, I love you, and hope you enjoy yourself tonight!” she said as I stepped down the stairs.